TDS increasing in tank

revolutionhope

hey,

just wondering what kind of TDS increases people find in their shrimp tanks on a weekly or monthly basis or whatever?

i'm just trying to get a general feel for things, any input will be greatly appreciated :-)

if you could also share i think it would be helpful to also know what size tank, how heavily stocked it is and feeding frequency..

thanks in advance,

love n peace

will

• HOF Member

My tanks are mostly 70 litre tanks and up until recently were only moderately stocked with perhaps 20 adults and some babies. I feed powdered food most days, pellets alternate days and leaves are always in there. I do a 10-15 % water change weekly and pure RO top ups if there has been much evaporation. I use 2 double sponge filters in each tank - I only have a canister in my 200 litre tank. I find my TDS raises by 5-10 points in a week so they are very stable. My 200 litre tank was high density population run with 4 sponge filters and a canister with the same routine as the smaller tanks. It has quite a big evaporation problem as it doesn't have lids. I find this tank can swing in TDS BY 50-100 points in a week but there was a very large population in that tank  probably close to 600 maybe more so I fed a lot more .

• Like 1

I get similar changes to Ineke, typically 5-15 increase in TDS in low stocked tanks and 50 or so TDS increase in densely stocked tanks. However I have  TDS decrease substantially over the course of the week as well, specifically in a tank housing cherries and some large snails (Stenomelania cf. aspirans). I presume the TDS drops as the snails take up carbonates to deposit into their shells.