Sign in to follow this  
Baccus

Lots of Berried Mumma's

Baccus

So I was sticky beaking in my native tank and spied most if not all my girls are berried :excited:, so here's hoping that shortly not only will I have the notopala babies growing up nicely but also a few generations of various native shrimp.

Blackmore I think

P1110086_zpsymqeefu8.jpg

Easy to identify Chameleon

P1110078_zps1emtsbiu.jpg

Also easy to ID Darwin Rednose

P1110084_zpskxu9frf1.jpg

and another

P1110074_zpsjotn0anb.jpg

And this really full girl that is either a DAS or a local creek shrimp that might in all honesty could be anything

P1110082_zps2b1kxa7t.jpg

• Like 3

Disciple

Congrats!

Its always nice to see lots of berried females. Keep up the good work.

al4n

Berry nice!

Baccus

Thanks, I sent the tank into a melt down yesterday, I put a heap of mozzie wrigglers in the tank. Not only did the spotted blue eyes go nuts but plenty of the shrimp also started coming out and seemed to be hunting the wrigglers as well.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• Crabby
      By Crabby
      Okay, so the title pretty much says it all... One of my berried tts just moulted, and she left the eggs in the moult. What happened, and why? 
      I'm going to try to save the eggs with some sort of extraction, and I'll be very careful. She was pretty far along. I think I'll use the net over bubbler method. Does anyone have experience with this, and particularly the extraction? I won't do anything until I have some idea to go off. 
      Thanks in advance.
      Crabby
      Oh and the moult is under like 2 hours old. Wasn't there when I started watching a movie, was there when I checked back after.
      Going off this video: 
      Hoping the process will be similar. 

• Echo
      By Echo
      any input appreciated

• KeenShrimp
      By KeenShrimp
      I have been trailing this product for about 8 months now:
      Ingredients: Lactic acid bacteria, crustaceans calcium, reduced maltose, mulberry powder, yeast

I cannot argue with the fact that it increases my berried ratio among females after feeding. I sceptically attributed it to the protein component only initially, but trialling one tank on protein- high Ebita Breed Hinomaro bentou and another tank on B18, I still find B18 has a more pronounced effect on fertility.
      Whether it is potentially the Lactic Acid Bacteria strain used, the highly absorbable form of calcium used, the digestability of the yeast protein or a combination of all above, it appears to work.
      Dosage: Once a week, small amount.

Highlights:
      - very little is used, so it lasts a long time as it is very concentrated.
      - the shrimp are attracted to the food supplement when put in the tank.
      - it completely breaks apart into a fine particle mush so that all shrimp can have a bite of the small portion dosed
      - it indeed does increase berried rate

Concerns:
      - not available for purchase in Australia yet. Available in Japan, Singapore, Hong Kong.
      - possible water contamination potential if too much is dosed in nano tank.

????/5 Shrimp Tails

• Grubs
      By Grubs
      The pump flow jets into the corner of the tank and bounces the flow back out across the semi-circle of pebbles which provide "hang-on" spots for the shrimp. Not surprisingly this was set up to also give maximum viewing potential for me :D
      Feeding (infrequently) a mix of Sera micron powder, brine shrimp nauplii, and milk paramecium that I culture as fry food (I strain out the big ones on 50µm mesh).
      I also drop bits of mulberry leaf into the tank every now and then.
      I've found reproduction to be very seasonal.  In the 18 months I've had them this is only the second time I've had berried females - last time was last summer.

• Must Read SKF Articles

• Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• AresGr
      So i guess temperature is not an issue. Also dry leaves help microorganisms to grow. Στάλθηκε από το Mi A3 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk
    • beanbag
      68F in this tank
    • WaldoDude
      Thank you both,  Yep I've lowered my heater setting to 24C (which should give me 23C). Not sure why I had it up at 26C in the first place, i think because my thermometers designates 25/26 as a green spot which i associated with being ideal but a quick google search would've told me otherwise.  The stones have been removed and cattapa leaves added but i havent done a water change yet as I had just done one a few days ago but I will do a small one tomorrow to begin that transition to a lower PH.
    • jayc
      I think it is moulting related issues as well based on that picture. At least we don't have the fish mangling the shrimp, so we can diagnose it properly. Thanks for moving them into a breeder box, even though it's a pain catching them. If those stone have been removed, the water parameters should start improving. But the symptoms with the shrimps will continue for a big longer.  I know you don't have RO water yet, but have you done a water change since removing the stones? Even with your tap water parameters, it should help a little with moving the tank's water parameters in the right direction.  Canberra is about to get some rain on Friday. Maybe set some buckets out to collect some rain water and use that for water change.  Simon also has a good point with temps. We are in winter here,  so moving temps down to 22-23 should not be a problem. I keep my CPDs at 23degC. So your's should acclimate well to that temp too. Plus it saves on electricity.  
    • sdlTBfanUK
      Sorry to hear you are still having this problem. I think it is a molting related issue, and the water isn't quite right if they are trying to get out. The trouble with tap water is you don't know what is in it so you will be better off slowly transitioning to RO remineralised when you get the new unit as that will be ideal parameters always - tap water can change as well from time to time and you won't know. Going back to the original post, the parameters are only just acceptable but out of 'sync' a bit, ie KH uppermost limit, GH lowermost limit etc. I don't know how hot it is where you are but if you can get that temperature down to 22-23 that would be better as well as again, you were at the uppermost limit! I hope you get the equipment before all the shrimps die off! Simon