Red Rili

Shrimpscaper

One of my female (I think) Rilis..

f31e6627be10e8f20938e703c177759f.jpg

Any tips on how to develop the pattern and increase the coverage of the head and tail ( will it help to breed them with a high grade red cherry)..

I will use this thread to keep track of my shrimps and post photos of them..

Thanks for looking..

• Like 1

• HOF Member

To breed really well patterned Rilis you need to keep culling heavily and use the best ones you have for breeding. Don't add red cherries as you will get too many without the clear section. Just keep picking out the ones closest to what you want. The colour does develop over time. Alternatively you can try to buy a really good male and use him on your best females. You will need to continue to cull heavily as a percentage of shrimplets will have red stripes, dots and colour on the mid section.

I kept my shrimp until they were about 3 months before culling as they developed better colour as they got older. Originally I culled quite young but then found really nice shrimp in the cull tank. Other breeders cull very young that's really up to the individual breeder but unless you cull you keep getting higher percentage of mis marked babies

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 2

I have been trying to improve my red rili for a while now. I had a big population of about 300+. 

I picked out the best 10 females and about 5 males and moved them into another tank. Now i am using Ineke's method to continue trying to improve them. I am very harsh on the males. I have kept them at 5 but only keep the best.

Good luck

• Like 1

Thanks Disciple.. What do you look for in a good male.. The intensity of the red or the pattern ?

Do you have any pics of your males..

Yeah I would say the pattern of red head and tail with clear body being a solid red including the legs. I havent taken many pictures of them for awhile. I will try take some but mine are not good at all yet lol

• HOF Member

Here are a few pictures for you. First a nice male but has some markings on mid section so technically a cull but ok to introduce good colour if nothing better available

image.jpg

Another male not enough red plus markings mid section - cull

image.jpg

Another nice male but a cull due to mid section markings 

image.jpg

Female culls . Nice lot of eggs though.

image.jpg

image.jpg