larrymull

RO Water changes with Salty Shrimp

larrymull

I posted this in another forum topic (it was a little off track) so I thought this is worth a discussion in itself.

An example, I have a 60L TB tank that runs at approximately 150TDS. If I was to take out 10-15% (9 litres) of water and change this with RO water how much salty shrimp should I use with the new RO water to maintain 150TDS in the tank. Reason I ask this is I have heard people mix salty shrimp to a TDS of 150 in the new RO water of say 9 litres and when dripping it back in they get a huge swing in TDS readings.

This would obviously lead to a much higher TDS when the water change has been added and severely stress the shrimp?

Do we have a guideline for how much salty shrimp you should add in to meet current tank TDS

jayc

I aim for TDS of 110 - 125 in my change water. TDS pen comes in handy here to measure the change water before adding it in the tank.

Once added to the tank it should maintain a 140-160 TDS. The main tank will always have higher TDS due to foods being added, and water evaporation, and the constant production of nitrogenous waste.

larrymull

Thought so and this is what I do, just seems people might add the same TDS to the change water to the tank water and this could skyrocket the tank water to a larger TDS.

NoGi

My tap water has a 195 TDS lol

jayc
5 minutes ago, NoGi said:

My tap water has a 195 TDS lol

Wow. I wonder what's in your tap water that make it so high. It's certainly not just Ca & Mg.

Mine is about 80 the last time I checked a few months back.

NoGi

I should test it again to see if it was an anomaly.

ineke

JayC I'm in Adelaide and my tap water can be 300!!!!

I always mix and test my RO water in a bucket and make sure it is less than the tank water so if my tank sits at 150 my water is mixed to approximately 130 . I also check the temperature and make it as close to the tank as I can- a laser temp gun makes that easy work. I use a jug and slowly pour the water into my tanks- I do it to all 13 and have done it that way for 3 years. my tanks are overflowing with all sorts of babies! 

All my tanks are treated the same , have the same substrate etc but at the end of the week there is usually a 10 point difference between them- some stay 150-155 others go to 160. I would say it's to do with the population in each tank and the amount of food I put into them accordingly. I also still use something like Boss booster each week, mironecton fortnightly and Beta-G -when I can get it. The TDS never fluctuates much more than 10. I also add pure RO if there has been a lot of evaporation -I only have half my lids on in summer instead of full coverage to help keep the tanks cooler.

• Like 1

origami84

Bee Shrimp Mineral GH+ - Minerals and trace elements

Dosage
Use Bee-Shrimp Mineral GH+ to re-mineralise RO water, rainwater, fully desalinated water etc. to reach a total hardness of about 6 °dH and/or a conductance of about 200 +/- 50 µS (Microsiemens). For this purpose, an evenly full measuring spoon (about 3 g) to 20 litres of water is sufficient.
Measuring spoon enclosed

http://www.saltyshrimp.de/english/beesalt_bee_shrimp_mineral_gh_plus.html

Shrimp Mineral GH/KH+ - Minerals and trace elements

Dosage
Use Shrimp Mineral to re-mineralise RO water, rainwater, fully desalinated water etc. to reach a total hardness of about 6 °dGH and/or a conductance of about 300 +/- 50 µS (Microsiemens). For this purpose, an evenly full measuring spoon (about 2 g) to 10 litres of water is sufficient.
Measuring spoon enclosed.

http://www.saltyshrimp.de/english/shrimp_mineral_gh_kh_plus.html

jayc
36 minutes ago, ineke said:

I'm in Adelaide and my tap water can be 300!!!!

:awe:

I'm part way through writing an article on TDS.

In my research 500ppm TDS is considered contaminated water. 1000ppm TDS is unfit for drinking.

300 TDS is getting close to water that is considered contaminated.

Next time some one from Adelaide says they are having issues with their shrimp, remind me to ask them if they are using tap water. :aha-!:

• Like 1

ineke

I was amazed when I had such high readings , I haven't tested the tap water for 12 months or more as I use RO now and a pura tap for our drinking water. I think I might survive!

OzShrimp

i can beat you all, my highest TDS of tap water was 380+

ineke

What bore water???

fishmosy

I typically get around TDS 95 from the tap but the only shrimp I use it for are the hardy natives and cherry culls. Anytime I've used it with more sensitive shrimp (CRS, high bred cherries or tigers) I've gotten random mass deaths following some water changes. I use a carbon filter but it appears there is something nasty in the water sometimes.

shrimpaholich
8 hours ago, fishmosy said:

I typically get around TDS 95 from the tap but the only shrimp I use it for are the hardy natives and cherry culls. Anytime I've used it with more sensitive shrimp (CRS, high bred cherries or tigers) I've gotten random mass deaths following some water changes. I use a carbon filter but it appears there is something nasty in the water sometimes.

copper pipes in the house?

fishmosy
9 hours ago, shrimpaholich said:

copper pipes in the house?

Yes, so copper is a possibility. However I think its more likely the carbon filter just gets old and stops filtering out all the chlorine/chloramine, particularly after heavy rain events when the water supplier doses these quite heavily.  

ineke

I wonder how much trouble copper pipes actually cause? My house was built in the 1960's and has copper pipes which I doubt have been replaced and although I do use RO water now I used treated tap water previously for about 12 months. If the water isn't sitting in the pipes but just running through it would they actually leach much copper? 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Crabclaw
      By Crabclaw
      Hey guys, I’m really wanting to get freshwater crabs, and the only ones I’ve found are A. Lacustris and A. Laevis. I can only put them in a 110 L community tank for now, but may have another option in the future. The tank is stocked with a large school of ember tetras, some rocket killies, some endlers, some tangerine tiger shrimp, and a pair of apistogrammas. Rare aqua advised that A. Lacustris would likely be eaten by the apistos, so the obvious choice would be A. Laevis, because they’re larger... right? But I’m worried that they might predate upon my shrimp, so wanted to hear some advice and opinions from more people with experience keeping these crabs.
      Cheers!
    • Crabclaw
      By Crabclaw
      Hey guys, I’m really wanting to get freshwater crabs, and the only ones I’ve found are A. Lacustris and A. Laevis. I can only put them in a 110 L community tank for now, but may have another option in the future. The tank is stocked with a large school of ember tetras, some rocket killies, some endlers, some tangerine tiger shrimp, and a pair of apistogrammas. Rare aqua advised that A. Lacustris would likely be eaten by the apistos, so the obvious choice would be A. Laevis, because they’re larger... right? But I’m worried that they might predate upon my shrimp, so wanted to hear some advice and opinions from more people with experience keeping these crabs.
      Cheers!
    • bristlenose
      By bristlenose
      Hi, I've kept Red cherry shrimp for at least 3 years. I've never had a problem with them. I used to keep my shrimp in 500l tank but i got careless while buying plants and introduced planaria into my aquarium. I only noticed after the numbers got out of hand and i noticed the shrimp deaths adding up. I moved 200-300 shrimp into a standard 4ft tank planted aquarium and dosed with noplanaria along with melafix to ward off any bacterial infections. There were multiple dozens of shrimp shells all over after being moved. Initially i believed it may have been the planaria/bacterial/constant water changes/stress of new environment(i drip acclimated them for a 5 hours) that was killing them but i haven't changed the water in a 2 months but i still get the occasional death, 1 or 2 every few days. There are decent amounts of cuttlebone in the filter and also in the aquarium itself, and i also feed them the occasional powdered egg shells but i still get molting problems. Adults and also the month olds are dying, no discrimination. They're fed every other day shrimp snow, high protein discus granules and zucchini/pumpkin/spinach/dry seaweed every 3-4 days. I can see many berried females and small shrimp and also babies but i'm still losing shrimp constantly, easily 80+ in total. I don't want to buy a gh/kh test, they have never had any problems with molting in their last aquarium so can't quite understand why they're having problems now in the 150l. I've read so much online but i can't seem to find an answer, i'd sincerely appreciate any advice i can get. Thank you so much if you've managed to read all of this. Please feel free to ask any questions. The photo is from the current setup they're in.
      Previous tank parameters:
      Ammonia: 0 
      nitrite: 0 
      nitrates: 20ppm
      Ph: 8
      substrate: sand 
      Lighting: generic LED lights i got off ebay
      I don't know any other parameters.  cuttlebone in the tank and filter, no ferts, heavily infested with guppy grass. Large colony of bristlenose. 
      New tank parameters:
      ammonia: 0
      Nitrite: 0
      Nitrates:30-40ppm 
      co2: 3-4 bps 
      Ph: 6.5
      Lighting: generic LED lights i got off ebay
      substrate: ada aquasoil
      The new tank is heavily planted and dosed with root tabs and liquid ferts. Cuttlebone in the tank and filter. 6 large pieces of seiryu stone 17kg (i doubt they're authentic so they're some kind of limestone) Shrimp only tank

• Seattleshrimp
      By Seattleshrimp
      Hi ! 
      I live in Seattle where the water is incredibly soft and I have a tap water pH of 6.7, GH of 0-1 and KH 2. My existing tank with plants already has buffered substrate. Would I have better chance of keeping CRS than RCS with my current water parameters ? Or would RCS do okay?    I do have an RO system already, and I could  remineralize my water with salty shrimp KH/GH+. Which would allow my GH and KH parameter to be okay for neocaridinas, but I already have a tank with active substrate. I’m 100% I don’t have space to set up another tank with inert substrate.    Would do you recommend ? What are pH you have successfully kept neocaridinas and have them thriving ?    Thanks ! I appreciate all the help as I am new to the hobby. 
    • TotalNewb
      By TotalNewb
      Help please!
      I bought a rack set up with 9 tanks and a sump. It is full of stock, neo-cardinia, cardinia  and sulawazi shrimps + a tank of endler guppys. 
      I am collecting it tomorrow with help from friends and a borrowed van. 
      Has anyone moved a rack before and what tips can they share please?
      We were thinking of lowering the water level right down and then moving them very gently in the cars - with the water in 25L drums in the van cause I don't have that much RO water spare so it will be going back in as soon as we can set it up. 
      They are moving less than 2km down the road and I will have my heating on full blast to keep the house warm - current temperature here is about 10 degrees celcius. 
      I am worried about the Sulawasis but I reckon if we keep them plugged in with the heater for as long as possible and put them back ASAP they "Should" be ok...fingers crossed. 

I just read that tanks should never be moved with water in them but it will take HOURS to catch all the shrimp as there are literally hundreds of them

• Must Read SKF Articles

• Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

Join Our Community!

• sdlTBfanUK
      Thats interesting that you feel the same in USA with it being a much bigger country, I had thought that maybe it was a lot more difficult/risky transporting live shrimps because of that, and assumed it takes longer, or is ridiculously expensive? Thanks for that, most interesting. Simon
    • sdlTBfanUK
      When you say a ghost town I hope you don't mean the shrimp are dying off? When I set up my Betta tank I think I mentioned the soil was fighting with the water and I was getting PH of abut 6 for a few months and it has crept up more recently. The culls I dumped in there were fine at the low PH etc so I would be amazed if that caused too much of a problem! If you now don''t have any shrimps in there maybe I would put the rock back into the tank so that can speed up the exhausting of the buffering substrate and it would probably be safer to wait until the substrate isn't buffering before buying any more shrimps as a precaution for a while?  Oh I see JayC beat me to it........ hopefully what you mean then is the forum ghost town and not the tank? Simon
    • jayc
      Not the best photo of the fish. Have you checked your water parameters?
    • jayc
      Yeah, there was an issue with SKFA forums or the servers its on for many hours. That would have been why no one was around to respond.   That rock was buffering the pH. Now that it's gone, the water is returning to it's normal pH range. Well normal but for the substrate buffering it lower. You can try adding a small piece of the rock back in - that's one quick option.
    • Crabclaw
      Hey guys, I noticed a couple of days ago that one of my female rocket killies has some sort of disease or injury on her side, and I have no experience with fish diseases at all, so can I get some help with working out what it is and what to do about it? One of my female endlers also has a little white line on the end of her tail, and I just noticed this as well. Please help me with identifying the problems and fixing them. Photos are here: https://postimg.cc/gallery/odz029e0/ Cheers, Crabclaw