Root Tabs in planted shrimp tanks- YAY OR NAY?

gk2v

Im keen on trying tabs rather than the liquid forms of plant ferts and want to know if anyone has had success with a particular one/brand in shrimp specific tanks?

From what i can gather the doses are about the same for example with flourish but i have no idea if its better or worse for the shrimp?

And if i go the tabs or stick versions how much copper is too much? All fertilisers seem to have a very tiny amount like 0.001% but it would be less accurate in tab form due to the fixed size of the tab etc  http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/FlourishTabs.html

Any info would be great

Actually it all depends on what type of plants you are keeping. If you have plants that are root feeders then yes having root tabs will help the growth of the plants and will help make red plants more vibrant. If the plants are column feeders then its no use as they will be getting their nutrients from a liquid supplement.

Depending on your substrate you shouldn't need root tabs for a good year of use in a heavily planted tank. If you are still keen on root tabs I would recommend ADA root tabs I've had great success with them and find them way easier to use. If you want to DIY you can buy empty rice capsules from the chemist and fill it with osmocte - just make sure you get the one with no copper!