Blue velvet with red gearhead

Matuva

I have few blue velvet. 4 males and, good surprise, 1 female! I thought I had none left and was trying to crossbreed the blue velvet with my carbon rili.

This morning I took out the female and 2 males and put them in a special tank. The guys were dancing all around as the girl was trying to hide. I found a nice molt in the tank, so I think it's a good sign I may have a chance the colony will launch. Pray for me!

I also noticed that the female is completely blue, a nice blue, as the little guys are from a lighter blue, but show red headgear. Should this last or do this red will disappear once they grow holder?
It seems one of the male is completely blue, but the 3 others show this red headgear. That's funny and I like that too.

• Like 4

it can be that the history of these shrimps is not complete blue, and de females are always better collered than the males.

i hope that i will work out for you. the female is showing eggs already or????

there is an chance that the babys wil be red and blue so, if u want only the blue ones u have to select on collor.

GOOD LUCK!

greetz

The female is now berried. The dad is one of these 2 males with red headgear.

Looking closely, I found another male completely blue... I will do better next time when selecting.

• Like 1

okey its not a stable line,

if you want the red out of it you need to throw the red ones away, 

good luck

(throwing away i mean sell or put them in other tank.

• 4 weeks later...

The blue female has hatched 10 days ago. Shrimplets are red ^^ funny...

I have moved the red gearhead males to anther tank with red cherry females. Will see what's going on.

Tha being said: how is called the blue shrimp coming from the reds? Is it blue jelly or blue velvet?

If I'm correct, the blue velvet comes from the blue carbon rili, and the blue jelly is coming from the red rili? And this is the blue jelly who is throwing red shrimplets, not the velvet?

i can't answer your other questions at all but i do know my blue shrimplets are red when they're born but turn blue after a week or so

see this thread

mmm, mines are still red. Dads are blue with red heargear, that may explain why they are still red. Hopefully they will turn blue when older.

Thanks for the link about the family tree. I saw it but was at lost as the seller said he sold me some blue velvet, but it appears they are blue jelly instead.

Thinking they were velvet, I mixed them with carbon blue rili... result is not so bad, but the crossbreeding result is rather a "tiger" neocaridina rather than carbon blue rili.
I lost the blue in the new ones though... but oh well, I like these pseudo tiger, and they look healthy

Edited by Matuva

• 3 weeks later...

Well, shrimplets have grown up... and there is not a single blue jelly: I have now some nice red rili, and some other clear blue with "red stripes"

The blue jelly female is berried again, and as there was only the 2 blue male left, I hope this time I will have blue shrimplets...

I'm happy with the red rili though.

Edited by Matuva
  • Like 1

The blue female has hatched. I will see in the next weeks what has come this time.

I have moved the female with the only blue male I have. Hope I can have a blue line...

• 1 month later...

So hows it all going now? Did the blue pair you matched up work?? 

• 3 weeks later...

I believe in Australia that the terms blue Jelly/ blue velvet are basically one and the same...Sounds like what you have on your hands is actually blue gene red rili shrimp.  Depending on the line they may throw all blue, some red and blue and some red cherry.  I had the same thing...However if you can separate the all blues and breed them through a few generations until they breed true you will have your very own blue velvet line :-).   Not something that is done overnight of course and will take alot of culling and precise breeding, but can be done....Well, so I've been told hahaha.

i finally had to separate 3 lines of colors:

• red rili / red rili blue
  • "blue rili"
  • blue jelly

I still have to watch closely each time shrimplets appear. At the moment, I have about 20 red rili, around 10 "blue "rili and 7 blue jelly.

Shrimplets appeared in the blue jelly tanks past week, and it seems I saw some of them rather red...

here are the blue jelly:

2 of the 4 females are berried. I can see the black dots in the eggs, so it won't be long before I have shrimplets again ^^

IMG_20160331_145436[1].jpg

IMG_20160331_145448[1].jpg

IMG_20160331_150128[1].jpg

IMG_20160331_150600[1].jpg

• Like 1