Breeding program - stalled

larrymull

Hi Guys,

My RCS seem to have halted breeding over the last couple of months. I am not sure if this is heat related or I am just not getting them in the mood. All parameters are fine, with a TDS of around 150 (I am keeping them with CRS). I am thinking of doing a 20-30% water change on the weekend to see how that goes.

Anyone have any thoughts on how to set the scene?

As a side note I was in HK last week and wow it is so impressive walking around and looking at all the brilliant shrimp places, the colour and quality of the shrimp is nothing I have seen. Very impressed.

• Like 2

Don't suppose you have any pictures from your time in HK?

Assuming you have checked that all water parameters are OK, I would try feeding the colony with frozen bloodworm (once a week for two weeks was enough for me) - effectively boosting the amount of protein in their diet. This method has worked wonders with my RCS and CRS. I believe @jayc has experienced the same thing.

@fishmosy I have noted your bloodworm feeding through other posts, and I have followed suit, mainly only once a week. I will give it a go and up the weekly amount as I have these in the freezer.

They are very protective of their shrimp in HK. I took a couple of average photos and continually got abused for taking them, kinda ruined the experience for me so decided not to take photos and just enjoy the shrimp.

I did see this one type of shrimp that was at least 12cm long, mixed in with the RCS - crazy looking thing.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, larrymull said:

I did see this one type of shrimp that was at least 12cm long, mixed in with the RCS - crazy looking thing.

Are you sure it was 12 cm, as in a 1/2 foot long (approx)? That's huge.:awe:

Edited by jayc

Out of curiosity, what size tank? 

I rarely used worms with my choc cherries as I had hikari fish food handy which had the "meat" needed. But my old yellows used to love a block of frozen worms.