larrymull

Breeding program - stalled

larrymull

Hi Guys,

My RCS seem to have halted breeding over the last couple of months. I am not sure if this is heat related or I am just not getting them in the mood. All parameters are fine, with a TDS of around 150 (I am keeping them with CRS). I am thinking of doing a 20-30% water change on the weekend to see how that goes.

Anyone have any thoughts on how to set the scene?

As a side note I was in HK last week and wow it is so impressive walking around and looking at all the brilliant shrimp places, the colour and quality of the shrimp is nothing I have seen. Very impressed.

• Like 2

fishmosy

Don't suppose you have any pictures from your time in HK?

Assuming you have checked that all water parameters are OK, I would try feeding the colony with frozen bloodworm (once a week for two weeks was enough for me) - effectively boosting the amount of protein in their diet. This method has worked wonders with my RCS and CRS. I believe @jayc has experienced the same thing.

larrymull

@fishmosy I have noted your bloodworm feeding through other posts, and I have followed suit, mainly only once a week. I will give it a go and up the weekly amount as I have these in the freezer.

They are very protective of their shrimp in HK. I took a couple of average photos and continually got abused for taking them, kinda ruined the experience for me so decided not to take photos and just enjoy the shrimp.

I did see this one type of shrimp that was at least 12cm long, mixed in with the RCS - crazy looking thing.

• Like 2

jayc
58 minutes ago, larrymull said:

I did see this one type of shrimp that was at least 12cm long, mixed in with the RCS - crazy looking thing.

Are you sure it was 12 cm, as in a 1/2 foot long (approx)? That's huge.:awe:

Edited by jayc

fishmosy

Might have been one of the African filter feeding shrimp. They get pretty big.

larrymull

@jayc it was scary big it looked unnatural - but they were just grazing like the other shrimp

NoGi

Out of curiosity, what size tank? 

I rarely used worms with my choc cherries as I had hikari fish food handy which had the "meat" needed. But my old yellows used to love a block of frozen worms.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• sky99
      By sky99
      Hello everyone!
      I bought some pintos, and i did put them with my other bees (some panda, some king kong, some blue bolts).
      However, i can't seem to find if pintos do breed true (in that case, should i separate them? or will those mix with the others
      to make cool new paterns, colors, etc?)
      I have a hard time figuring what bee breed true if any.
      I've read that bee are a mutation of CRS/CBS, but do they produce  similar offsprings or is it more random as an interaction of
      multiple genes?

Thanks in advance for the help!
    • Chris0zx6r
      By Chris0zx6r
      Hi, I’ve got a 55 litre tank with some guppies, cardinal tetras, panda and peppered cories, amano shrimp and cherry shrimp (oh and a few unintentional snails). I’ve just discovered that there are maybe 10 tiny cherry shrimp (less than 2mm) underneath a piece of wood in the tank. Will they survive with the other species in the tank or should I put them in a breeding box at the top of the tank (I already have one) to stop them becoming fish food! Never had anything breed in the tank so far, so not sure what’s best.
      Thanks, Chris 
    • edishrimp
      By edishrimp
      Hey guys!
      I've had my CRS for close to a month now (bought about 20 juvies and adults on 30th June) and they seem to be really happy and healthy in their tank with the painted fire reds. So far the PFRs have been berrying and breeding like crazy but I've yet to see any berried CRS 😕
      Tank Parameters:
      Size: 14 Gallon Long Ammonia , Nitrite 0ppm Nitrate 20ppm pH 6.3 dKH 2 dGH 7 TDS 170 Temp 23-25c Diet: Bacter AE (1 scoop once a week-mainly for the PFR babies), Bornoewild Frenzy (once a week), Indian Almond leaves and aldercones for when they get the late night hunger pangs 😄
      So my question would be, do my CRS require some additional protein in their diet? I've been told breeding is quite a energy intensive activity for shrimp. And if so, would feeding some frozen blood-worms help to supplement this? 
      Thanks for reading!!
    • cdaJiv
      By cdaJiv
      I currently have a Fluval Spec V which is my shrimp tank, stocked with 20~ Cherry Shrimp, 1 Orange Rili (berring when I bought her and successfully birthed fry), and 2 Crystal Blacks.
      Last week I ordered 20 Assorted Rili Neo Davidi Male Shrimp (I thought I was ordering a mix of Males & Females, sadly mistaken). I also ordered the Dennerle/Shrimp King 10g (Shrimp King Tank) to put them in seperate from my Cherry Shrimp tank. 
      My question is this…
      I want to interbreed these Rili shrimp and in order to do that I will need to purchase a “Breeder Combo Pack” (10 female & 5 male) but I do not know what would be the best option to go with to breed with the 20 Assorted Rili Neo Davidi Male Shrimp that I already have coming.
      Only options that guarantee females:
      — Neon Yellow (Neocaridia Davidi)
      — Orange Sakura (Neocaridia Davidi)
      — Sky Blue Velvet (Neocaridia Davidi)
      — Golden Back Yellow (Neocaridia Davidi)
      ((Other Freshwater Shrimp from AquaticArts))
      I am looking to buy from AquaticArts because they have reasonable prices and I trusted shipping methods, but if anyone knows another source to purchase from that would have better options for what I am trying to do I would be grateful for that information
      Ive been doing my own research to see how interbreeding will turn out but is such a very in depth and situational topic, and I know if I get the wrong type of Neocaridia davidi then it would be possible that one gene is more dominate and would possibly just end up being all one color.
      Can I please have your opinions?
      Thank you

• Kevin KG
      By Kevin KG
      Hello, I'm still new here
      So I keep some RCS in 7 gal tank (30x30x30cm). I use aquabides for water and I put some bacteria starter. The filter is hang-on filter with surface skimmer and the lamp is 5W LED. I use soil and put some plants there (cuba and monte carlo for the soil, and some java flaming moss, some cabomba, and a tonina fluviatis). I keep around 20 RCS there. At first they looks happy. Swimming around here and there but after some time it looks like they are just sitting on one spot not tends to not move. Some of them are molting and usually the "ghost" will be eaten by others but no RCS touched that skin. I put some HIKARI Shrimp Cuisine and they don't even touch it. Today when I checked on them nearly all of them are dead at the bottom of the tank or outside the tank. All is dead except one RCS that hang on the carbon filter (outside the water). I put the survivor on a glass with distilled water and some tissue. I observe it and it looks like the RCS is covered by some diatom by its mouth and when I transferred it into the glass it looks like puking diatoms too. The water on the "graveyard" tank is somewhat slimy and the surface skimmer can't absorb the slime. What must I do and what is wrong with this tank?

• Must Read SKF Articles

• Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

Join Our Community!

• beanbag
      Another thing you can do to avoid rescaping: Just take some of the fresh soil and put it in your filter.
    • Zenplay,thailand
      Thx ^^
    • sdlTBfanUK
      Hopefully the fish has just damaged itself as you say, mine do that sometimes, although the changes in the water will undoubtedly have caused them stress and the water they prefer was the water you started off with? There are sections on this forum dedicated to fish, I used it when I decided to try a Betta and got great advice from JayC and this Betta is doing way better than any I have tried before because of all the different things I did/do this time! https://skfaquatics.com/forum/forums/forum/116-fish-keepers/ Great to hear that the shrimps are doing so well. I think it is natural for the berried shrimp to hide away when they are near to birth as it protects the newly hatched shrimps when they are born, and the babies don't move far when they newly hatched either. There would be little to gain at this stage in getting more shrimps before getting a bigger/new tank, it may even be detrimental? I admit to being lazy sometimes and not topping up the tank between weekly maintenance/water changes (disgraceful really as I keep a 1litre bottle of RO water right next to the tank anyway), in which case I end up taking out 2litres and putting back 3litres at the next change, but need to make an allowance for the fact the TDS will change. When I set up the new Taiwan bee tank I measured the water I put into the tank at the start (assuming the measuring jug is anywhere near accurate) so that is how I know there is 28litres in the 35litre tank - it is a good idea to do this WITH A NEW TANK (but with everything in the tank, heater, filter substrate etc) as it is so much easier to do at that point anyway. I did the same with the Betta tank and that has 20litres in a 25litre tank (the one you were thinking of getting at some point). Without the exact figure to put in the spreadsheet then it won't be 'accurate (can still be used to give you as near an idea as needed though)', especially on a small tank! It works to the digit with mine. Even if you empty the tank and refill it probably won't be that accurate as the soil will have absorbed some water, so best do it first fill of new tank. Your water parameters are looking good and pretty much there now so all else being well you should be able to go back to once a week maintenance/water change. I don't know much about Nitrite/Nitrate as I have never had any readings, apart from the old fish/cherry shrimp tank which has always been 50 nitrate for years, probably because there are too many fish but there has never been a problem in that tank? PURELY AS A GUESS I would think the duckweed may have caused the problem/imbalance, but that is ONLY a guess based on I used it once and swore never again, I use water lettuce now, though that isn't perfect either as the routes grow so quickly that I have to trim those every week, but still a lot easier than duckweed.  Simon
    • sdlTBfanUK
      Thanks JayC, I think it is called a Geode, that was what it was sold as when I bought it in US many years ago though it could be something else? I think it is some sort of meteorite? Hopefully, as you say, now it is removed the PH may start to drop and I have put one in some prepared water to test in a week. I will also just see what happens with prepared water left out for the same period just to see what happens with that. Simon
    • sdlTBfanUK
      Those are very good quality shrimps and photos. Simon