seachem matrix imposter?

revolutionhope

can someone please graciously confirm for me whether i have been ripped off -

1) does this look like seachem matrix?

9fa298980ad073d41ae84b6c22d24132.jpg

2) does seachem matrix "crumble" when agitated and cloud water as a result (at the same time as increase TDS?

5b151b528cb22c299769936affe60879.jpg

if i have been ripped off and given "fake" matrix then i will be happy because i will have likely found the answer to something majorly confounding me!

love n peace

will

so that "dusty" lookinf stuff isn't right then? i can literally keep grinding it against itself with my fingers til it all becomes particulate

The only particulates I've ever washed off seachem matrix is the dust when the new packet is first opened and the 'dirt' that collects as part of the natural formation of a biofilm in a filter. Doesn't sound right at all.

I get a small amount of "sand" in the bottom of a bucket when rinsing matrix from a canister filter (tip it all into a bucket, swirl it a bit and tip it back into a canister). If I forcibly rubbed it together I think I might be able to turn it to sand... but certainly not the powder plume that your pic shows. Mine is 15 years old though :)

Could this be seachem matrix off spec version?

The off spec version is an irregular shaped smaller sized granular form as compared to the normal matrix. I have the off spec version and washing it creates similar cloudy water.

I use them in a reactor on very low flow to encourage anaerobic bacteria to colonise it.

Matrix raising TDS is not unheard off.

i have read many instances of that happening.

Thankyou all very much for your input. i think I'm gonna bin it regardless. the tds in the 2 tanks with the stuff were definitely rising considerably while cycling.

the pH was table though - this is a new occurrence only since adding livestock...

cheers

love n peace

will

it came inside a second hand filter i got from gumtree.. eheim pro2. worst purchase of my whole life.. seals were screwed. was missing an intake strainer and spray bar i think? i was just naive and trusting.

when j got home i thought wtf it's got rocks inside! then i went and showed it to my (formerly) fav LFS and he said it was matrix..

im not happy with said LFS i recently found they sold me a fishtank ornament that they had re-glued in two places at full price! nvm they also have been wrong about their lava rock being inert and a few other issues...

thanks for the opportunity to rant @nogi much appreciated ;-)

love n peace

will

• 2 weeks later...

I just joined so this might be a little late, I have used matrix in my one filter for about 3 years now and moved house with it almost a year ago (I moved the matrix out of the overhead filter into a bucket and back into the filter) and it's still 100%, no crumbling or any other problems, in fact, I like it so much I'm going to be switching all my filters to matrix..

• Like 1