Sign in to follow this  
neo-2FX

Where to buy an RO filter

neo-2FX

hey gurus,

where can I get a decent RO filter?

revolutionhope

i can recommend ilter systems australia for sure. i waa advised by disciple and others here to go thru them.

i got their portable unit with option for aquarium water as well as pH neutral drinking water for around $200 i think. replacement cartridges for maintenance qre pretty inexpensive too.

said unit has 2 taps and you can turn on one or the other depending which water you want. with my mains pressure i get more than 10 litres per hour and EC of 4 or 5 last i checked. think it may be a little higher now so i should change the cartridge as I've had it for 6 months ish.

the owner at FSA is very friendly, didn't try to upsell me. and happy to talk and.explain things.

love n peace

will

• Like 1

Disciple

was going to recommend them too

revolutionhope

hey D which unit did u get? and also keen to know what tds / ec does your RO water come out at?

neo-2FX

I'm interested in this dual unit since our water filter has gone bust. There is a few different models on the site, am I best asking the owner?

revolutionhope

I also found the website horribly confusing. In the end I just rang him (during business hours ofc) and he kindly explained that I need not spend a lot of money and recommended something very affordable. He was most helpful!

• Like 1

neo-2FX

Thanks Will, I'll call tomorrow.

jayc

hey D which unit did u get? and also keen to know what tds / ec does your RO water come out at?

+1 to FSA RO unit.

Mine still produces RO water with Zero TDS.

I have the GT1-70 DIALK model "DI Aquarium & Drinking Water Combo R/O". 

But most people would opt for the cheaper GT1-70DI - "Aquarium RO".

• Like 1

Ronskitz

Yeah i went with the GT1 and thats never missed a beat

• Like 1

neo-2FX

Did you guys buy spare "membranes" or do they last a while?

jayc

Haven't bought spares yet. It will depend on how often you use the unit.

Once TDS starts to rise, you will know when it's time to change the RO membrane.

I tell myself that I will tolerate TDS going up to 10 before changing.

Edited by jayc
  • Like 1

neo-2FX

Cheers guys, will contact them today =)

revolutionhope

@neo-2FX did you get an RO unit already?

i have owned my Gt6 portable drinking & aquarium water RO/DI unit for 6 or 7months i guess and the TDS had crept up to 5ppm or higher and so i decided it was time to do maintenance on the unit.

I emailed Ian at FSA and he recommended I save some $ and get the below packwhich contains the 3 components which need changing most regularly.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Replacement-Pack-Reverse-Osmosis-Aquarium-and-Drinking-Water-6-1-6-18LS-5-12-/251396315471?hash=item3a8863594f

it cost me $60, there are 4 components to this system and one is a membrane which needs replacing approx every 24 months.

the taste&odor should be replaced every 6 months apparently and the DI resin media should be replaced every year i was told, anyway my TDS had alraedy been creeping up after 6 months usage (100 - 150 litres per week i guess) so i wanted to fix it all in one go.

the pack cost $66 inclkuding shipping.

I had to call their tech (who was very friendly) and advised me on how to do a couple things i wasn't sure about - and I changed all the parts and it took me perhaps 1 1/2 hours in total (including soaking and washing the lines and also the inside of the main DI chamber in got soapy water.

I am just about as bad as it comes with practical/handy stuff so it is pretty easy if I can do it in 1 1/2 hours. next time it will take less than an hour i'm sure.

Anyway Tds is back to ZERO ppm woohoo :-) stoked with the result.

I wanted to share the experience incase it helps you with your decision :-)

love n peace

will

neo-2FX

@revolutionhope I did order, should be here soon!

I ordered the GT1-70DIALK.

Thanks very much for sharing that, I'll keep it handy when it comes to maintenance although the parts for mine might be different?

Edited by neo-2FX

jayc
6 minutes ago, neo-2FX said:

I ordered the GT1-70DIALK.

That's the same unit I have.

Just remember NOT to use the Alkaline tap for aquarium use.

Only use the Alkaline tap for drinking.

Edited by jayc
  • Like 1

revolutionhope

ah the gt1-70dialk is the one i got too actually. gt6 are some of the replacement part numbers :-)

• Like 1

neo-2FX

Got her all hooked up and water coming out! yay! It comes out nice and......slow lol

Expected though.

Thanks for the help guys!

• Like 1

revolutionhope
2 minutes ago, neo-2FX said:

Got her all hooked up and water coming out! yay! It comes out nice and......slow lol

Expected though.

On my mains pressure I get about 12 litres an hour :-) it's good enough

• Like 1

neo-2FX
2 minutes ago, neo-2FX said: Got her all hooked up and water coming out! yay! It comes out nice and......slow lol

Expected though.

On my mains pressure I get about 12 litres an hour :-) it's good enough

About the same here.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• Crabclaw
      By Crabclaw
      Hey guys, I’m going away for a few weeks and having a neighbour take care of my tank, as they are already gonna be caring for my cat during that period. I’ll be away for 2 and a half weeks, so not a huge amount of time, but the neighbour doesn’t have any experience with fish or shrimp tank maintenance.
      The tank will be fine without a water change during that time as long as I do one before I leave, I know that, but my 2 main problems are feeding and stopping my intake sponge from clogging up.
      For feeding I was considering getting a couple of pill boxes, like the ones that have seperate compartments for each day of the week, so I can set a certain amount for each day, and which foods.
      But for the intake sponge, I’m pretty stumped. My current intake is a sponge filter connected to the intake pipe, but it’s been clogging up once or twice a week due to how fine it is (and how messy my fish are). When it’s clogged, it puts strain on the canister filter’s motor, and that’s not good. I don’t trust her with cleaning it safely, plus I’m only paying her for 5 mins in the morning, and 5 at night. I’ve considered a mesh intake, but it looks like it could hurt a fish if it went past it quickly... plus I can’t check the size of the inside where the pipe could go as the only one I’ve found would have to be posted.
      Are there easy alternatives that I wouldn’t have to mod, or do intake sponges come in courser versions? (I haven’t checked).

Any input would be appreciated!

• edishrimp
      By edishrimp
      Hey guys!
      Just wondering if any of ya'll have experience keeping filter feeder shrimp? They're fairly common here although most of the LFS tend to stock lethargic specimens that seem to be on their last legs 😕 Just need some advice on how to spot and pick out healthy specimens for my community tank 😄  
      Also, anyone know where I could find the less common wood shrimp on steroids? Let me know 🙂 
      Common Wood Shrimp

Wood Shrimp's Buff Cousin, Vampire Shrimp

• waffle
      By waffle
      Hey folks, can anyone recommend an effective, silent corner filter for a 33cm cube tank?
      Cheers ?
      This is looking like a good candidate at the moment: http://www.thetechden.com.au/Aquael_Pat_Mini_Filter_for_tanks_10_80_liters_p/111605.ht
    • revolutionhope
      By revolutionhope
      Hi folks,
      i have received some beautiful CRS from heavyD today and i have a situation with the current being too fast for the shrimp to swim very well in. I have the spraybar just below the surface and angled slightly up for maximum oxygenation but it still seems to be a little fast at the lower level of the tank, i can see moss swaying around and the shrimps being blown across somewhat when they try to swim. There is quite a "whirlpool" effect happening.
      Aside from replacing the canister with a smaller one; how does one go about lessening the current inside the tank? I thought of 2 solutions but I don't know how wellthey will do or exactly how to implement them -
      1)I could make more holes or make the holes larger in the spraybar?
      2) cover it with a stocking or sponge or something to slow down the water as it shoots out the holes in the spraybar.
      cheers
      love n peace
      will
    • GotCrabs
      By GotCrabs
      G'Day all, I have an Eheim 2213 Canister filter, API Bio Chem Zorb, API Nitra Zorb, just wondering what goes where as this will be the first time using Nitra Zorb.
      From bottom up, it goes Blue Course Sponge (3 or 4 depending on room), then White Filter Pad (1), then Carbon Pad (1), do I then place the Bio Chem Zorb on or the Nitra Zorb? Or do they go in different sections in the filter?
      Cheers.

• Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• sdlTBfanUK
      Here are a coupe of pictures so you can see what I mean, it just isn't going as nicely as before? I can only assume it is the different substrate, still it will get there I am sure and the shrimps seem happy enough and the plants are very slowly growing and going a bit greener than they were. As can be seen in the pictures the shrimp are totally uninterested in the shrimp lolly (or spinach) at this point so I guess there is enough biofilm? It all looks a bit drab, uninspiring and unhealthy? I may remove the Java fern in the middle at some point as I do have another greener (quite small though) bit floating around in an old tank? Simon
    • sdlTBfanUK
      Those parameters are perfect! I think I experienced the same with the algae on plants when I restarted the caridina shrimp tank, but mine seems to have almost cleared up as well - taken months though. One of my failed attempts with tap water many years ago I had PRL and PBL and it did look much more interesting than just the one colour. They didn't live long enough (maybe 6 months) to really know what the offspring would look like though they will still be red crystal or black crystal  so they should be fine together. If one colour does become more dominant then you can always get some more of the lesser coloured ones anyway in the future.. I did get red babies but no babies lived very long as it was tap water! I would try transferring just some shrimps (may be a third) over to the new tank if you are sure it is cycled and see how they go in a week before transferring the rest over? You won't want too many in the tank anyway if you will be messing about with plants/layout still and you won't loose the whole lot if something does go wrong? Maybe also put the Amanos in the new tank for now so the ones in the old tank won't be fitting with them any more for food? Simon
    • Steensj2004
      Update. I filled the tank, unfortunately, there was some melting of plants and some light hair algae( algae is only on the leaves of some plants, nowhere else?). Adjusted my light schedule and intensity. Things are looking better. Did a 70% water change, remineralized with GH+ powder, and clean tonight. Levels are as follows:   PH: 6.4 Temp: 75 GH: 6-7 KH: 0-1 TDS: 140   Wondering  when I should transfer the shrimps... I want to order 10-20 more CRS, and I’m considering mixing in some CBS. I’m not concerned with selling these, so it would be neat to have two different colors. I know the Black coloration is dominant, but, from what I’ve read, I’ll still get reds from offspring in two-ish generations. Someone said expect 25-30% reds. What do you guys think? My  additional plants haven’t been delivered today, so thats a bummer.
    • Blue Ridge
      Thanks, the ol' iPhone 6 rarely makes me happy, but if you take enough sometimes you'll get one good one!
    • kms
      Nice shrimps, I like that blue bolt in the 7th photo, I want one, I also just purchased today another 8 Red Wine to join my other 3 in the tank, along with one amano shrimps and 23 thai micro crabs.