A few questions about scoria

neo-2FX

Hi all,

Just a few questions about scoria some of you may be able to answer that I'm curious about.

Has anyone used scoria:

1. From Bunnings or Masters in their tanks? Have you got a photo you can share?

2. As a biological filter media in place of something like marine pure?

Commonly used with Sulawesi!

sorry no photos 

Yeah I understand "lava rock" is used quite a bit. I'm referring specifically to the Bunnings and/or Masters cheap brand stuff. I want to get an idea how different it is compared with the Pisces stuff.

Yes that's the one that's used! What are you trying to workout? Both are inert both have a large surface area for building bacteria p. The pieces stuff looks prettier!

I don't personally use scoria but many do..... I do use plain old lava rock(aka bbq fuel) from Bunnings.

• Like 1

I don't personally use scoria but many do..... I do use plain old lava rock(aka bbq fuel) from Bunnings.

I've used the lava rock from Bunnings as substrate with no problems.  no idea on its use as a filter media, but it should work.

Edited by fishmosy
  • Like 1

Yes that's the one that's used! What are you trying to workout? Both are inert both have a large surface area for building bacteria p. The pieces stuff looks prettier!

Gotcha!

I was looking at it today and wasn't sure if it was aquarium safe/would look good.

Is there a difference between scoria and lava rock?

Edited by neo-2FX

I've used the lava rock from Bunnings as substrate with no problems.  no idea on its use as a filter media, but it should work.

Seems like a cheap option for filter media. Just curious if anyone's tried it before.

Is there a difference between scoria and lava rock?

From what I understand scoria is a type of lava rock, which I take as, "there is no difference".    

• Like 2

Neo2FX,  google up Gold Label Hydrocorn it is used as a hydrophonics grow media seems almost the same as Aqua clay. Check out their specifications you may be impressed

I am using it in my new sump, seems to work fine so far only prob it floats when first installed.  I am using media bags and just weigh them down. Cost wise it is extremely economical compared to other media, 30lt bag $35.00, Aqua clay $220.00

This is much more porous than scoria thus much more area for beneficial bacteria to grow.

• Like 1

Neo2FX,  google up Gold Label Hydrocorn it is used as a hydrophonics grow media seems almost the same as Aqua clay. Check out their specifications you may be impressed

I am using it in my new sump, seems to work fine so far only prob it floats when first installed.  I am using media bags and just weigh them down. Cost wise it is extremely economical compared to other media, 30lt bag $35.00, Aqua clay $220.00

This is much more porous than scoria thus much more area for beneficial bacteria to grow.

Interesting shrimp Aqua! Thanks for that info..where do you purchase it from?

Just look up your local Hydrophonics shop and see if they carry it, i had to travel to the Gold Coast to get mine about 1hr 15min from me.   My local shop did not carry it, most keep Canna Hydroton clay balls which are smooth on the outside whereas Gold Label is uneven surface just like popcorn hence the name.  Hope this may help, worth a look.

• Like 1

Interesting @Shrimp Aqua 

While googling this Gold Label Hydrocorn, I read on a hyproponics forum that it raises pH.

Any such issues that you might have found?  

Also, another observation for @neo-2FX. Comparing lava rock of any sort to Marine Pure ... there is no competition. Marine Pure is way more porous and would be superior as a filter media. However, as an obvious point, it is also way more expensive. So when filling a sump, lava rock would be much more economical. If you used Hydrocorn, you could even start growing some veges for consumption in the sump. That would go down well with the missus. :cool:

• Like 1

Thanks for all the input guys.

An interesting discussion here and am very interested in this Gold Label Hydrocorn and whether it actually increases pH. I'll wait for @Shrimp Aqua to respond.

Sorry guys i have never had the need to test the PH values as i am using it on a CA cichlid tank.    I have just filled a 20l bucket with RODI water and placed 1lt of Hydrocorn in a media bag into the bucket with an air stone, i will measure PH again in 24hrs and let you know results.   I was sure i read somewhere that it did not alter the water parameters so am going to check my source.

Found this so far, read paragraph below about PH and water chemistry etc.for fish. 

AquaDuo Hydrocorn Bio Media

For use with Elive filtration products, Hydrocorn- Bio Media is made of kiln fired clay pellets that will not cause pH fluctuations or negatively affect aquarium water chemistry. Their porous composition promotes healthy root systems for plants and beneficial bacterial growth. These bacteria help to breakdown ammonia and nitrite keeping water clean for a healthy aquatic environment for fish.

Product Information

• Planting media for aquaponics filter systems
  • Bio media helps remove toxic ammonia and nitrites
  • Increased surface area for beneficial bacteria
  • Includes mesh media bag
  • Can be used as bio media in any filter
HydrocornBag.jpg
AddHydrocornBag.jpg
HydrocornWithHand.jpg
HydrocornBioMediaPackaging.jpg
Hydrocorn.jpg
hqdefault.jpg
-

AquaDuoHydrocornUPCs

Edited by NoGi
Page formatting
  • Like 1

Just found some more interesting uses for this product, can be used as a moving bed filter media.

Thanks @Shrimp Aqua, this is very interesting. I've now Googled "moving bed filter media" and some interesting articles have come up. Seems you can use "moving bed filters" to reduce nitrates.

I look forward to the results of the pH test, thanks for doing that.

Is anyone else seeing a weird page with pictures cut-off etc,? @NoGi

Edited by neo-2FX

Yeah and I'm guessing because the other page was copy and pasted straight in.

There, fixed it.

Thanks NoGi, yes was copied and pasted, did'nt know how to fix it, sorry.

With regards to the PH readings increasing while using Gold Label Hydrocorn, my test i have been carrying out over the last 24hrs show no significant increase.  I have made several tests using API PH testing method, each test i used both samples from RODI water and water from my test vessel which was simply a 20lt bucket with an air stone and 1lt of Hydrocorn added to the RODI water. The only increase i noted was using my EC test meter, an increase from 4 microseimens to 30, this could be attributed to dust particles from the Hydrocorn as it does require vigorous washing before use.   Hope this may be of some help to those thinking about using this media as i certainly will continue to do so.  

• Like 1

neo-2FX, if you decide to try this, please let me know how it performs for you.   My next experiment will be testing it out as a fluid bed system, i reckon it would be effective when used in a sump chamber instead of K1.

• Like 1

Hi Neo, I have just used scoria (Lava rock) as substrate in all my shrimp tanks on my rack. I have also been using it for many years in caninster filters. I will remove the various things like bio-balls or noodles etc and replace with scoria. It is a fantastic filter media and allows beneficial bacteria because of the amount of holes in it. 

I have always purchased mine from a landscape supplier and it has only cost me $7 for a 20kg bag. You have to wash it quite a few times before using in the tank but even from a look perspective it has given my tanks a completely new and cleaner look. It is available in 20mm, 15-10mm and also quarter minus grade. This is the cheapest way to buy it. The scoria I used in the tanks was only available in the larger size at the time so I simply used a hammer to make it small and to varying sizes. It was a bit of a pain but quite easy to do and good stress release.....LOL

I also use the clay balls that are available from hydroponic stores and the cost I last paid was about $5 a litre. It takes a little while to absorb water and sink and I have also found that no matter what there are some that will continually float. No big deal because of the low cost. They are excellent at absorbing and I have also used them for many years. They only pain is they tend to get stuck in the hose I use to clean tanks. They look very similar to hydrocorn but are more symmetrical in shape.

• Like 1