Native Fish/Shrimp Set Up

GotCrabs

Scored myself an Aqua One Horizon 60 on Thursday, nice tank, 69l, 60cm x 32cm x 36cm, I saw it in the LFS and thought I'd grab it before the 'Useless' store owners decided to change the price of it like they do with other products, this is the same store that didn't know what kH, gH were and also charge $40.05 for an Aqua One Maxi 101f which I've seen elsewhere for $15.00 to $20.00 and also $20.00 for the smallest bottle of API Tap Water Conditioner... Paid $70.00 for it which I thought wasn't bad.

So it's sitting here looking at me, the other tank I have which is doing a DSM is going well, I'll leave it for probably another month or two, probably two, so I was thinking I'd do this tank to keep me busy in the mean time, give me something to do.

I'm going to go down the native tank path, thinking Spotted Blue Eyes, Riffle Shrimp, North Australian Chameleon Shrimp, Darwin Algae Shrimp, Darwin Red Nose Shrimp once the tank is planted and running well, plant wise I'm thinking Glossostigma elatinoides, Hydrocotyle tripartita, Lilaeopsis brisbanica, Vallisneria nana, but not sure what else, want to keep it some what simple, but appealing, not crowded, heavily planted with Glosso though, have a rough image in mind, will also use the left over Seiryu Stone I have, even though yes I know it isn't really native Australian lay out material, but might as well use it though.

Thinking I'll use ADA Amazonia like I have in the other tank, also going to grab another Ista 60cm White LED when they come back in stock at The Tech Den, be nice to hear back from them.

Thanks to @Baccus for the help with the Spotted Blue Eye and native shrimp questions also.

• 6 months later...
On 10/18/2015 at 3:10 PM, GotCrabs said:

Thinking I'll use ADA Amazonia like I have in the other tank...

This is kind of off-topic, but I've been looking into this stuff, actually. Someone recommended I use it for my MLPs, but so far I've got away with just using Dino Dung. What are your thoughts on it? Do you think it would be a good investment?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• Must Read SKF Articles

• sdlTBfanUK
      It has been a few weeks now and I have done a couple of large water changes. I tested the water parameters this morning, GH6 and KH2, TDS 140 and PH 7.5. Obviously the PH is off but there isn't anything in the tank that should cause the PH to rise to this figure so I will just run the tank for another month with 10% weekly water changes (probably just with RO water) and see where we are at that point. The RO water tests at PH6, and the KH and GH in the tank could come down as they are at the upper limits for Caridina shrimps! There are only about 10 very small snails in there at this point, but they seem to be doing well enough.
    • sdlTBfanUK
      I believe these to be very rare in Australia so you may even consider making it a longer term plan and produce your own by starting with the best CRS you can get as that is where the pure lines started! Depends how patient and interested in the project you are, but would save money as well? If I recall correctly it takes from 8 generations of selective breeding? They sell them at micro aquatic shop but do not ship to Western Australia, but that means they are available in Australia. https://microaquaticshop.com.au/products/pure-red-line-grade-ss-shrimp Good luck and just maybe smeone on here may point you in the right direction or be able to supply you with some.
    • Jimmy
      Hi Guys,  Does anyone know where to buy PRL shrimps in WA, not the CRS please. Thanks Regards  
    • Subtlefly
      Yes it’s super accurate to position where I want now and stay there- I am satisfied.  All the fish and shrimpers are doing excellent! Coming up on 4 years running!
    • sdlTBfanUK
      You must be pleased with that, it looks better and is much more robust and less likely to damage or leaks! The tank looks very natural now it has been running for a time. I see the ember tetras, how are the blue shrimp doing, I see a few? The cat and dog look very content and unimpressed, lol.