I think she is Indistincta

Baccus

I caught this local shrimp a few weeks ago when I was chasing Notopala snails, at the time she was quite dark coloured and heavily berried. She certainly has proven to be a tough old thing, since when I got her home she flipped when she should have flopped and ended up somewhere on the floor. I hunted and hunted for her and finally located her nearly all dried but still alive and put her in the tank in the hope she would survive. Not only did she survive but so did the eggs she was carrying which she eventually released, but after seeing the tiny shrimplets/ larval young a couple of times I don't think they ended up surviving.

She seems to have settled in well to the tank and also decided on a pretty permanent colour scheme.

P1100621_zpshoiodmpk.jpg

Could very well be indistincta. By happy co-incidence, I think I caught some indistincta from the Bellinger today.

As an aside, "Indistincta" as we know it today might actually be up to 5 species or subspecies. DNA analysis indicates there are 5 clades (named A - E) that are intermixed throughout the Eastern half of Australia. From memory, the indistincta from the Bellinger fall into Clade C with indistincta from Queensland, but the indistincta in the river systems to the immediate north and south of the Bellinger catchment fall into different clades respectively. I have to dig out that paper and read up again on this interesting species.

She is quite a nice shrimp and has settled in well to tank life, unlike the other shrimp and snails she actually seems quite interested in different prepared foods. I am sort of tempted to get her a mate but at the same time I am loathe to add such a similar looking species to the DAS which are also in the tank. At least this girl I can easily identify, somehow I think that wont be so easy if I had more and not coloured up, let alone the absolute confusion any shrimplets can/ could cause.

I guess I could try these shrimp in with my corys, threadfins and dwarf rainbows but there is already riffle shrimp in there and I was waiting to see if the chameleons end up breeding and thriving in the tank.

• Like 1

yep, so many shrimp, so few tanks.....

I had to move my Paratya to a different tank to accommodate the indistincta I got today. Worth it! :music: