Foxpuppet's Benibachi Breeding tank

Foxpuppet

Your GH is looking a little high IMO' date=' pretty sure it's meant to be between 4-6 :encouragement:[/quote']

yeah not sure why it's crept up but this is honestly the first time i have checked WP in a long time.

currently another female has successfully dropped all her young. last time i counted there was at least 21 babies from the first drop and 2 drops since then with a further 4 females still holding. things are hopefully looking up ;)

Same female that dropped yesterday is now berried again.... It's like a well oiled machine!

Just took a quick count and can see 35 shrimplets right now plus a nice looking ss hino one that must be from the most recent drop. Super keen to see what the mystery shrimplets come out like. It's a nice s grade female carrying his young.

• HOF Member

Thats a good number of shrimplets. How exciting waiting to see mystery shrimps babies.It's like xmas and you don't know what you are getting!!!:encouragement:

So I got all excited thinking the female carrying the mystery shrimp eggs was dropping and put her into a floating breeder I have in the tank. turns out I have 2 s grades females very similar. So her shrimplets are nice but not mysterious at all. Caught the right one now though ;)

post-12-139909861442_thumb.jpg wrong one

post-12-139909861445_thumb.jpg wrong ones shrimplet

post-12-139909861447_thumb.jpg caught the right one

post-12-13990986145_thumb.jpg also trying to determine if this is a male to be put to stud with the saddled females.

post-23-139909849975_thumb.jpg

post-23-139909849978_thumb.jpg

post-23-139909849981_thumb.jpg

post-23-139909849983_thumb.jpg

Just spotted my berried CBS looking distressed and with a large split behind her head in her shell. Cherry shrimp were already honing in for a meal so I pulled her out and started getting ready to harvest her eggs.

Following the steps to extract the eggs outlined by gbang and BB I got to work....

post-1452-139909851131_thumb.jpg she was still kicking so I had to euthanize by a quick scalpel decapitation

post-1452-139909851135_thumb.jpg Eggs separated ready to transfer

I had no strainers with small enough mesh to stop the eggs falling through so I have used a fine grade net hanging under the outflow of an eheim 2213 and from the outflow of a sponge filter lift tube. Also put an airstone below the net.

post-1452-139909851139_thumb.jpg

My previous attempts at tumbling have been unsuccessful. Those times I tried using a syringe connected to an air hose with mesh over the top to stop them escaping it works to tumble but they ended up with fungus so hopefully this method yields better results. Age of eggs is only 2-3 weeks.

post-23-139909850021_thumb.jpg

post-23-139909850024_thumb.jpg

post-23-139909850026_thumb.jpg

Ok scratch the idea of the net, I looked it over and decided it was too easy to fall over and lose the eggs.

I knew I had seen an egg tumbler idea for shrimp egg salvage prior to SKF starting, so I started a little web investigation. I won't mention the site only that it was Australian and for mainly planted aquarium stuff but this idea was pretty good.

Here is a teaser of what I made with stuff on hand. Took about ten minutes to make

post-1452-139909851143_thumb.jpg

post-1452-139909851146_thumb.jpg

post-23-139909850028_thumb.jpg

post-23-139909850029_thumb.jpg

Only thing with this design is if one of the eggs start to fungus it will be a PIA to access and remove the egg, I have tried this method before but packed it in and just used a brine shrimp sieve next to my return pipe

Pretty easy to pull mine apart and pull them out... It was one thing I thought of

eggs seem to be going ok with none looking fuzzy. being able to vary the flow and get it spot on is key, Thanks again to Forocious for those little valves so long ago!

took a count and was able to clearly spot 63 shrimplets this morning, mostly A/Sgrade but a few little hino's and what looks to be a few no entry hino's including one thats a CBS, pretty stoked with that. a lot of them are growing quickly, so i think there is a lot of good food for them in the tank. i am supplementing with shirakuru baby food powder once per day. I also upped the feeding of adults to once per day but i'll probably be cutting that down a little so as not to cause any spikes.

post-29-139909861547_thumb.jpg

For Bluebolts

Full tank shot as of tonight

post-3160-139909851297_thumb.jpg

post-23-139909850103_thumb.jpg

post-23-139909850108_thumb.jpg

looking good fox! glad to hear ur getting heaps of new shrimplets :)

That mystery shrimp of yours looks like a wild tiger? Looks similar to my blonde only it doesn't have the orange eyes.

Thanks for the pic update...yeah does look like a Tibee. Have you got a female for him ?

Thanks for the pic update...yeah does look like a Tibee. Have you got a female for him ?
Not at the moment, I was gonna put feelers out and see if anyone was generous enough to send me something I could experiment with. I've got 2 males as far as I know. Does anyone else have female tibee like this? Could be good to establish an early base line of this grade instead of the full black lines or tibeeX. I've currently got him across a nice s grade Crs who should be dropping in the next week or so. I'm happy to come to some arrangement for trade if someone wants to help keep this strain going. I'm pretty sure that his origin is from bossaquaria. Dean was the last person I got Crs from before the 3 of them i had appeared, I'm guessing one of those Crs females was really a crsxtibee or mischling and got in accidentally. I've never seen more young like them, but I did lose a bunch of females at one point, so keeping these 2 males alive until they were big enough to breed has been a main priority.

Not at the moment' date=' I was gonna put feelers out and see if anyone was generous enough to send me something I could experiment with. I've got 2 males as far as I know. Does anyone else have female tibee like this? [/quote']

Glad I asked, we could Perhaps do a trade.... I have several similar looking tibee's, from OEBT X Mish and Blonde x Mish....if you're interested, PM me...

171C7305-0E07-4B8C-B1B6-62D616C6BDFE-6314-00000825AD133E7F.jpgCD4D97FF-6FC2-473B-B9A0-18BA06B49669-6102-000007BA2C9173CE.jpgED0AA8DD-5472-4BE1-B4A6-53D48A86B48C-1762-00000265A1CB6D84.jpg

Sent you a pm Bluebolts, if your still keen then so am I ;)

I've got some new shrimp today going into this tank. a neat trade with Cngo2006.

first of all its acclimatization, followed by a 2 week quarantine in a breeder box on the tank with UV sterilization running 24/7. This is my new ritual before letting existing shrimp come into contact with new ones to decrease the risk of any bacterial infections wiping out the lot. It's a lesson learned the hard way but so far this method has been proving successful.

post-3442-139909853995_thumb.jpg

Update on the eggs in the tumbler - I pulled it apart today to remove 3 eggs that had gone fuzzy. But all the others are looking good with all of them now having eyes unlike just being brown when they went in. Pretty stoked to have a shot at making it all the way this time!

post-23-139909850149_thumb.jpg

Sent you a pm Bluebolts' date=' if your still keen then so am I ;)

I've got some new shrimp today going into this tank. a neat trade with Cngo2006.

first of all its acclimatization, followed by a 2 week quarantine in a breeder box on the tank with UV sterilization running 24/7. This is my new ritual before letting existing shrimp come into contact with new ones to decrease the risk of any bacterial infections wiping out the lot. It's a lesson learned the hard way but so far this method has been proving successful.

[/quote']

Feeling a bit insulted there buddy...LOL! only joking good habit to quarantine. Wish you the best of luck with them!