Foxpuppet's Benibachi Breeding tank

Foxpuppet

hay Mr Fox' date=' long time between drinks mate :) glad your not giving up!

i like the idea of a moss tank with small fish. cant wait to see the new thread[/quote']

yeah... it's been a while ;) i keep up just occasionally browsing here and the facebook posts. Life has gotten in the way for a while, but i'll always consider myself a Shrimp keeper!

• 2 weeks later...

Crazy development today... First berried CRS in this tank since it was set up

I did a bit of a top up a week or two ago and that's it.

post-277-13990984965_thumb.jpg

Tap tap taparoo

post-23-139909848612_thumb.jpg

Great, WC/Top Up does encourage breeding.

Is Berowra Height within the vicinity of Berowra Waters ?

Sorry to hear about your loss foxpuppet...Hope all goes well...thanks for the great pics...

Gee this is a frustrating game... So I get a berried female only to have her die after transferring her to an satellite box that has been on the tank for months. I think the cause is my chiller decided to crap itself and the tank is now at 27c instead of a nice 21/22 that I normally run it at. Then while doing a WC to reduce the temp a bit I notice 2 more berried females. After 7 months of no breeding finally they get busy and may now die due to heat.

Does anyone know about replacing a hailea 150 thermostat? They are on GAPO for $38, is it an easy changeover?

Tap tap taparoo sent with tapatalk 2

Mate sorry to hear about the loss of the berried gal, I don't know how to replace the thermo but as a temp solution try putting a fan over the tank until you get the chiller fixed.

If the chiller is still able to chill, then I recommend hooking it up to an external temperature controller. If you drop the temperature on the chiller display low enough does it still try to chill? Or does it switch off straight away because the thermostat is stuffed?

If the chiller is still able to chill' date=' then I recommend hooking it up to an external temperature controller. If you drop the temperature on the chiller display low enough does it still try to chill? Or does it switch off straight away because the thermostat is stuffed?[/quote']

No chilling I dropped it to 4c and nothing happened at all, the outside of it it very hot and no sound of fan, but there is a hum from inside the unit. I have turned it off overnight. How hard is it to connect to an external thermo and can you recommend one?

Maybe the fan is gone rather than the thermostat. I only say this because you mentioned it is very hot, which to me means it is trying to do something and fan isn't helping to dissipate the heat.

The external temperature sensor I use is called STC-1000. You can get if from Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/220V-10A-Mini-Digital-STC-1000-All-purpose-Temperature-Controller-With-Sensor-/170982631921?pt=AU_B_I_Electrical_Test_Equipment&hash=item27cf5be9f1

You can wire up both your chiller and heater and set the differential of when to kick in. It's not hard to hook up, but you are dealing with full voltage/current so obvious precautions apply. There are some very helpful Youtube videos that demonstrate how to wire correctly. Watch a couple and follow them.

when my cooling fan went it would try to chill for about 15 mins then overheat inside and switch off and then heat up the tank. so I think it may be something other than the fan.

• 3 weeks later...

Have not fixed the chiller then we got all that hotter weather with a few 30+ days. No deaths but all of a sudden I have 5 berried females.

Nature at its best ! Bit of stress will encourage animals to instinctively adapt or breed to ensure their species survive....:)

• 2 weeks later...

After reinstalling tapatalk I can now share some pics from my phone of the shrimp :)

[ATTACH]2904[/ATTACH] 3 fat ladies

[ATTACH]2905[/ATTACH] feeding time

post-2944-139909860757_thumb.jpg first of new Crs shrimplets... Who cares about grade when this is first time breeding in 8 months! I've spotted 3 so far.

post-2944-139909860761_thumb.jpg and this is how I've kept my mind off the lack of breeding action!

post-23-139909849598_thumb.jpg

post-23-139909849599_thumb.jpg

post-23-139909849601_thumb.jpg

post-23-139909849602_thumb.jpg

that's weird the pics upload fine with tapatalk to other forums but here the came out really LQ.

here are some taken with dslr

dsc09662ia.jpgdsc0774b.jpgdsc0791lq.jpg

Ok so two bits of exciting news.

I conducted an experiment today. I came out to the tank to notice a few males zooming around the tank. Then spotted a nice saddled female clinging for dear life to some frogbit.

I suddenly grabbed a net and then put her into a breeder box then went about hunting for the 2 remaining mystery shrimp. Pretty much immediately they went about chasing her for the next 15-20 minutes then I had to go out.

So does this confirm they are Related to Crs?

The main clincher is I went out for about 3 hours then came home to find her berried.

Is there a chance she was impregnated by another shrimp prior to capture?

Will males continue to chase a female even once she had been fertilized?

7etyhapy.jpg saddled with MS

ega8ydes.jpg berried with MS

post-23-139909849695_thumb.jpg

post-23-139909849698_thumb.jpg

I've spotted 9 CRS and 1 CBS shrimplets from the first drop. Every female I have is berried at the moment so hopefully after so many months of waiting this is a good sign I have turned the corner. Should hopefully have at least 50-60 shrimplets in the next month.

Nice! Ya gotta be happy about that mate, really good to see

• HOF Member

Wow well done. Lots of little shrimp = new tank !!! LOL Does it ever stop -look at Dean even he needed more tanks!!!!

dsc1142b.jpgdsc1157kb.jpgdsc1152d.jpgdsc3422a.jpg mystery shrimp as a baby

dsc1153y.jpg and now...recntly became a father

3 shrimp have died in the last few days including one of the females but luckily she had just given birth. Her death was not unexpected as she was one of my older generations.

The others died with pinkish hue on skin and were pretty lethargic before death. One had just moulted but then carked it. I had topped up water and upped my feeding regime a little to ensure plenty of food for babies. Also had renewed sotching oxidiser and turned back on my sponge filters which had popped the tubing unbeknownst to me. Could I get negative affect from sponges being inactive for so long?

That's not good news, the sponge filter can have a negative effect cause all the bacteria can die & you might get an ammonia spike, just be careful & keep an eye on it :encouragement:

Difficult to know exactly...hat's your nitrate and GH ?

i didn't check for nitrate... i'll do that

Ph - 6.5

Gh - 9

Kh - 1

Am 0-0.25

my Ec tester needs calibration i think.

i didn't check for nitrate... i'll do that

Ph - 6.5

Gh - 9

Kh - 1

Am 0-0.25

my Ec tester needs calibration i think.

Your GH is looking a little high IMO, pretty sure it's meant to be between 4-6 :encouragement: