Rpainer

So the other day i scored some dexion pallet racking for cheap cheap. So now all my tanks in my house are being moved into my garage. It will be a long and slow process as i'm also planning a wedding and just got a new fulltime job and still working 2 casual jobs.

The racking is 45cm deep and almost 3 meters long. My plan is to have a 4ft tank and my normal 2 2ft tanks on the bottom shelf then the top shelf i will have 4 2ftx18inchx18inch tanks. Hoping to get at least 2 divided but still deciding on what to do. At the moment i only have Cherries but yellow, red, red rillis and blues. I'm not dipping my toes in CRS just yet as much as i want to the garage will just get too hot in summer in Canberra. With lighting my top 4 tanks will have the Up aqua pro led Z hanging from the roof. So all up it shall cost me a bit but i will do it slowly.

So this is the shelving unit

Any advice at all for planning and figuring out what i need would be a real help.

12041775_10207815189478930_1483505199_n.

12067842_10207815189558932_836255500_n.t

• Like 2

So picking up 2 3ft tanks this weekend off a friend. Going to divide them with some glass and put some sponge at the bottom of the divide. Plans are coming together.

Though dropping my motorbike today will take a toll as I can't walk -.-'

Very nice i cant wait to see how this develops

Mine isn't till March next year so still got time but it is going fast! Congratz on the wedding as well! Was at a wedding last weekend. All that hard work seems to be worth it :)

Mine isn't till March next year so still got time but it is going fast! Congratz on the wedding as well! Was at a wedding last weekend. All that hard work seems to be worth it :)

especially when she supports ur hobby lol

Elope = cheaper

We did that. Didn't really work out cheaper as now my wife wants a 'real' wedding. Pay cheap, pay twice! 

Elope = cheaper

Everyone keeps saying that haha

Back onto the topic for a second after my accident on the bike yesterday had the day off work still cant walk much but life goes on. I did some plans up in sketchup.

Plans.thumb.jpg.b74e863b1e48b0366d6ef60b

As you can see i got bored. So that will be the corner of my garage. 2 3fts on top that will be divided and have my cherries in them. The middle 2ft on the top shelf will have my Endlers in them. The bottom 4ft tank will have my Oscar who is getting a tank upgrade. (rescued him from a family friend still in a small tank but its going to be soon he will get bigger tank) then the other 2 2ft tanks are from my basic rack in the house just planted tanks nothing majorly special. Oh the big 4x2x2 is the goldfish tank haha honestly the Oscar should go in there but the misses LOVES them goldfish so gotta keep her happy.

• Like 4

nice one. i LOVE the sunnies

Haha had to leave the guy in there [emoji14]

So tomorrow I'm picking up the two 3ft tanks. One is 45cm high the other is 50cm. So my ocd of everything being even is going to annoy me haha

Also getting a 4'x45"x2' for my Oscar just gotta somehow store it till I have everything set up. At this stage I'll run a canister or 2 on that tank.

Any advice on running an air loop for my tanks as I'm tired of running multiple airpumps.

So i picked up my 2 3ft tanks the other day the sponges are on their way to divide the tanks.

I also got a 4ft but it is 60cm high so i gotta put it on the top shelf which makes my airloop a difficult thing to make now. So i had an idea. put some 4x2 to the back of the rack posts that will be higher then the tanks and run wire from each end then just cable tie the loop to the wire. though it is still a work in progress as always. I also have gotten ridden of one of the 2ft tanks so i can put the canister next to the 4ft tank on the rack and not the ground. but they may change.

The black lines is the airloop being irrigation pipes and as i will have them higher then the tank chance of siphon wont happen. Then i just put the pump on the ground out of the way. any one else have ideas?

Any ideas on what pump. Thinking the Airlab 20 or Resun lp20.

PlansV2.thumb.jpg.b7697adf44e35bf93f1f71

• Like 1

A lot of people said resun when i asked.

Pondone was another one people recommended

The LP20  and airlab 20 are quite similar, but the LP20 uses less electricity and has a higher pressure rating so this was the one I went with. It is really not that loud and is quite good air flow. I run mine the same way you are planning too, using 19mm irrigation piping around the rack. I run the pump on the top shelf as I don't have any tanks up there.

You shouldnt get a siphon having the air lines starting higher than the tanks I wouldn't think. I have my irrigation piping running above the tanks as you plan too, but mine are tied to the shelf above it instead of the 4x2. Havn't seen any siphoning the few times I have shut the air pump off manually.

The LP20  and airlab 20 are quite similar, but the LP20 uses less electricity and has a higher pressure rating so this was the one I went with. It is really not that loud and is quite good air flow. I run mine the same way you are planning too, using 19mm irrigation piping around the rack. I run the pump on the top shelf as I don't have any tanks up there.

You shouldnt get a siphon having the air lines starting higher than the tanks I wouldn't think. I have my irrigation piping running above the tanks as you plan too, but mine are tied to the shelf above it instead of the 4x2. Havn't seen any siphoning the few times I have shut the air pump off manually.

Only reason why I'm using the 4x2 is cos I don't have a top shelf. I thought of a few different ways I could get the pipe above the tanks and at this stage this seems the cheapest and easiest to remove. Plus no holes in walls or roofs.

Nice concept drawing ! 

I use an airlab pump.... So far very happy with it.

The resun and airlab are much of a muchness.

If drilling holes is an issue then I think the 4x2 is the way to go.You might want to run a horizontal as well because trying to run poly along a wire is going to be very difficult due to the memory poly has.

Otherwise you could use pvc with a few saddles and do away the timber altogether.

Or even easier do away with a ring main altogether and run a single 25mm pvc line along the top rail of the rack. You could then stick a check valve on it in case of power outage.

My 2 cent ;)

Saul

• Like 1

I have been thinking about this all week and it has been bugging me haha.

I run all my little air pumps under my tanks with 2 check values on them to make sure they dont siphon. So i was thinking of just running the piping and the height of the rack and then when i use airline tubing on that shelf make sure i have a few check valves thoughts?

• 5 weeks later...

After a few weeks of sitting around doing nothing while getting money sorted the time has come to put everything together finally.

On Thursday i have my electrician coming to put the new circuit and powerpoints into the garage. YAY

I got the filter for the 4ft tank and cycling that at the moment. I got a new light for the other 4ft to use for the turtles i shall be getting in a few weeks. Then i just gotta get the glass and silicone the dividers into the 3ft tanks and set them up. move the shrimp from their small tanks into their bigger tanks.

So it is all coming together very nicely apart from ripping one of my Ligament in my hand :/

• Like 1

sound like every thing is coming together nicely!

as for the air pumps, if you have the air lines running in from above the  tanks you shouldn't need to worry about  them siphoning, it helps it you have the air pump as high as possible as well.  there are some pics of my air piping on my rack to give you and idea of what i mean.

http://shrimpkeepersforum.com/forum/topic/8483-the-shawshrimp-rackdemption/?page=2

Awesome. This will look brilliant.

Just don't injure yourself any more.

Awesome. This will look brilliant.

Just don't injure yourself any more.

Haha easier said then done with all my jobs [emoji14]

somehow gotta move 3 tanks tomorrow afternoon so the electriction can get behind them to put power in.

Friday I'm hoping I can put the Rack together unless the wife to be has plans to force me out of the house haha

Looks good, what are you using to draw your concept diagrams?

Sketchup took about an hour to get a basic understanding and then learnt as I did it. First time using it so can't complain.

Well I just finished moving 3 tanks on their stand so the electriction can get behind them to put power in tomorrow. After dinner tomorrow I will start playing around with the rack and getting it into place and figuring out my airloop system.

So it all has started. After moving the tanks last night

7e9482884c3b6a8cf646efd776231961.jpg

To this tonight

f8d0550e95b93bc0b0279f06317e7f71.jpg

I think it's going well. Now cos my garage is so unlevel the rack is rocking -.- so I'm talking to a guy that works for the company that makes them and he installs them for a living. So I'm hoping I can get some levelling plates off him.

• Like 4