Sign in to follow this  
GotCrabs

ADA Ferts

GotCrabs

Does anyone here know much about the ADA pump bottle ferts?

I am planning on doing an HC carpeted Iwagumi over the next few months once everything is set in stone to go ahead with.

Jo

I've been using the ADA ferts on my tank for over a year now.  They remain a mystery to me.

• Like 1

GotCrabs

I've been using the ADA ferts on my tank for over a year now.  They remain a mystery to me.

Which are you using? I was looking at Brighty K I think it's called, is that the dark blue one?

Jo

I'm using Green Brighty Step 3 (brown), which is the fertiliser and Brighty K which is clear and I assume*, the trace elements required for the fertiliser to work efficiently. 

For a new tank, the Green Brighty step 1 is used, followed by step 2 after a few months. 

*The difficulty is, there are no ingredients and no words on the packaging to indicate what you're adding to the tank.  It seems logical to me that Green Brighty has nitrates in it but for all I know I could be pouring pale ale in my tank.

• Like 1

GotCrabs

Pale Ale? Ewww... no, don't want that in there, haha.

Didn't realise there was no ingredients on them.

Sorry, I was looking at ADA Green Brighty Special Lights.

ADA Green Brighty Special Lights has Nutrients, Phosphates, Potassium, Iron and Trace Elements in it, I thought that would be ideal for a HC carpeted tank.

jayc

Brighty K is a potassium fertiliser. The clue there is the "K" which is the chemical element symbol for potassium.

Potassium is a Macro nutrient, not a trace element.

Brighty Step 3 is the trace element fertiliser, with a bit of iron and potassium. The colour of the Brighty step 3 comes from the iron.

Jo

Ah, of course @jayc, thanks, I knew about the potassium but forgot.  I just assumed all the other elements would be in the brighty K instead of the green brighty. 

Anyway, I like the dispensing system (easier than measuring out 5 different bottles in medicine cups) and my plants grow really well (although it appears my parameters have gone haywire recently so perhaps I should refrain from commenting)!

• Like 1

GotCrabs

Yeah I like the pump action, think it's 1ml per pump.

jayc

Anyway, I like the dispensing system (easier than measuring out 5 different bottles in medicine cups) and my plants grow really well (although it appears my parameters have gone haywire recently so perhaps I should refrain from commenting)!

No problem.

Sounds like you might to reduce the frequency between doses then.