hot water refill... disaster

Le0DaVinci

Hi, i'm new to the hobby and I managed to keep alive and happy the shrimps for a couple of months.

The other day I refilled the tank directly from the tab and accidentally used the hot water tab. The water wasn't really hot or anything, never the less, in just minutes my 5 tangerine tigers started dying (cherry in the same tank were uneffected)

I did some reading and it's apparently due to chemicals that are in the hot water tap.. So i bought PRIME from Seachem and did a water change using PRIME.

The tigers left (2) seemed ok and I thought I had managed to eliminate the chemicals from the water, but this morning I found them dead.

As this sort of chemicals are not picked up by the ph, gh tests, how can I be sure that the water is now Ok to introduce new tigers?

I thought about a massive change of water but I have cherry shrimp in there so I don't want to upset them too much 

Thanks

Do water changes over several days, test, if stable then put stock in. I wouldnt be any stock in until then.

dont hold me to this but it would be the stuff the water passed through the heating elements and the heat shock the shrimp received that killed them.

slow refills are always good refills and tap water can be very unpredictable hot or cold. ro water is the only way to be sure there isn’t going to be any nasties in the water. its a clean slate to build your own water parameters and only add what you want in to your system. 

But as far as getting whatever might have affected the tigers out I guess activated carbon would be the easiest way, chuck some in your filter for a while it should absorb the bad stuff

Hi, i'm new to the hobby and I managed to keep alive and happy the shrimps for a couple of months.

The other day I refilled the tank directly from the tab and accidentally used the hot water tab. The water wasn't really hot or anything, never the less, in just minutes my 5 tangerine tigers started dying (cherry in the same tank were uneffected)

I did some reading and it's apparently due to chemicals that are in the hot water tap.. So i bought PRIME from Seachem and did a water change using PRIME.

The tigers left (2) seemed ok and I thought I had managed to eliminate the chemicals from the water, but this morning I found them dead.

As this sort of chemicals are not picked up by the ph, gh tests, how can I be sure that the water is now Ok to introduce new tigers?

I thought about a massive change of water but I have cherry shrimp in there so I don't want to upset them too much 

Thanks

If you have a HW unit with a copper tank inside, it normally will leach copper sulphate into the water as it is heated, although only minute amounts it is still enough to cause you problems, especially with shrimp.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies!!

I'll put the carbons in the filter tonight.

I'm also going to get the ro water system, I don't want this to happen again. Looking at this : 

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HRO-3-D-RO-Reverse-Osmosis-Water-Filters-Marine-Fish-RODI-Resin-Filter-DIVERT-/120802434648?

are these any good?

Thanks

Hey there, i have a RODI unit from the same supplier and very happy with it, if you are keeping shrimp i suggest you get this model 4stage Pro-4-D RO with DI, they have them listed for $125.95 & free postage.

PRO-4-D-Reverse-Osmosis-Water-Filters-Marine-Fish-RO-DI-Resin-Filter-GARDEN
Edited by NoGi
Fixed up image
  • Like 1

otherwise look up filter systems australia. Very good company aswell to deal with. Apologies for ubderlining lol too far along in post on my phone to go back and start again lol especially at 236 in the morning

• Like 2

Hey there, i have a RODI unit from the same supplier and very happy with it, if you are keeping shrimp i suggest you get this model 4stage Pro-4-D RO with DI, they have them listed for $125.95 & free postage.

• Thanks for your reply

otherwise look up filter systems australia. Very good company aswell to deal with. Apologies for ubderlining lol too far along in post on my phone to go back and start again lol especially at 236 in the morning

Thanks I'll look them up!