Adding a chiller

al4n

Hey guys,

With summer around the corner, what is the best way to add a chiller to a simple tank where there's only a sponge/hob filter in place? Apart from adding a canister/internal pump is there a neater way?

Thanks in advance

you can put an intake pipe inside your tank and have your pump run externally the only issue you will face with this is getting the water down into the pump to have that syphon/pull. The intake pipe will also allow you to have the guard on the end to stop shrimp being sucked into the chiller. 

The other thing to consider depending on the size of your tank is how big of a pump you are going to use as u dont want too much retun flow going back into the tank, could get quiet  messy. The size of the pump to will also impact on how quickly the water is chilled. The faster is running through the chiller the longer it will take to cool the water as the effect is a lot lower given there is a shorter time frame for the water inside the chiller to cool down.

I have an eheim pump assist my aquis 1250 canister then goes into an aquis 800 canister with the impeller removed before entering my chiller and back into my tank.