Water Parameters

Jarhead9506

Hi all :) Just wondering im new to SKF and shrimp keeping and ive got a small 6gal tank setup with fluval stratum substrate, a sponge filter and heater, looking to keep cherry red shrimp and was thinking okay ive got a api water test kit that tests the PH, Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate levels but where or what do you use to find out the other important values like GH, KH and TDS? First post still new to forums in general so if i did something wrong please dont kill me haha :P thanks guys :D

• HOF Member

API have a combined test kit for GH &KH and you can get a battery operated TDS meter from our sponsors - you don't need to buy the really expensive ones. Stability of your water is more important than actual values - cherries can do well in a wide range of parameters but don't like sudden changes so when you do water changes try to get the new water up to the value of the tank water. Good luck with your new hobby

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ah thankyou! i have a TDS pen on order already from ebay and im looking at getting a GH & KH test kit soon :) thankyou for the helpful imformation :D!