breeding macrobrachium australiense

Paul Minett

guys anyone had success raising the young in a aquarium I had a big female berry last night so after some tips.

Gday Paul,

Nice to see you posting here

• HOF Member

Paul -try messaging Northboy or Fishmosy they have a lot of info on all things native!

thanks mine are a different species from mid nth coast nsw but hopefully they will survive in the tank they are a cool shrimp to watch

M. australiense can be found catchments in the Murray Darling Basin that are disconnected from the sea (drain internally) so they should make it through in your tank - perhaps keep the water a bit mucky or add some green water as food for the littl'ns.  I don't know how small or capable the hatchlings are.

I know these ones were a long way from any brackish water and are found further inland in dams etc. finding info on the lifecycle is difficult so hopefully I can learn something out of this first lot even if unsuccessful to improve the chances next time. will keep everyone updated if I get anything helpful.

If you don't have green water on hand, you could try adding Chlorella powder to feed the new born shrimp.

They go through in fresh AOK, but you CAN NOT have any thing else in the tank as every thing eats them, bite size.

If you try to build a bit of bio film and rubbish (plant matter) but not to much rubbish, with small amounts of Chlorella powder and make green water, you will get some through and the ones you raise will be selected ones that are suit to you raising conditions, in turn the next generation will be more suited to what you do and more will survive and in a few generations they will be easy for you and how you do it, we all with out knowing select critters that suit what we do. If we always do things the same, food water changes and the like. Food don't have to be exact just close

Green water is easy, a bucket of water from a tank, needs a lid, boil or nuk a bit of cabbage leaf, chuck it in and put the bucket in the shade, in a couple of weeks green water, OH not full shade it has to be bright with out getting hot. When it slows down through in some Mystery snails and a bit more Veg to keep it going.

The best green water is like a glass of strong lime cordial and if you look under a scope you can see the little critters in it

You need water form a well running and long running tank and best if you have put plants it at some time, the plants carry the critters.

Once the shrimp stop free swimming they drop to the bottom and eat any thing soft, banana is good, in moderation.

Time to stop banging on.

Bob

• Like 1

thanks guys I will setup a bucket of green water and see how it goes, she only berried a couple of days ago so have a coupe of weeks to get the water ready before the bubs drop and hopefully be able to raise a few of the bubs

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

good luck with these...  would love to see you rear some little'ns