Fishmosy's zebra shrimp biotope tank

fishmosy

Very' date=' very nice, I must resist????[/quote']

why ? Doesn't sound like you. LOL. Imagine te possibility if these zebra could be x with our Caridina's...

Fantastic' date=' very inspirational...just highlights how terrible I am with natives :-( .... can you share your WP please. Thanks[/quote']

Sorry my water parameters were there but a little buried in amongst the pictures.

Temp: 18C but will be a bit higher in reality as that was measured whilst on a cold day and the door to the fishroom was open. 20-23 is probably a bit more realistic, especially once O add the pump.

TDS: 74ppm

pH: 7.4 but I'd like to bring it down to around 7.

Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate: 0,0,<10ppm, but I'm expecting the nitrate to rise now the shrimp are in.

KH/GH: forgot to measure, but will do soon.

Ben now the rain has stopped for a while, I should be able to access the creek that the Black and Clear Zeb's come from, So I will send you a couple to play with.

Fingers crossed it don't rain AGAIN, I am over it, we had a dry wet and are having a wet dry. Every thing is confused as well as me.

Most of the creeks measure 30 to 60ppm TDS so yours are OK

Bob

Sweet Bob, probably just prefer to get the completely black zebs only as I have limited tank space and the Barney Springs shrimp to play with as well.

Looks great... but like he said it does looks better in real life... A very accurate and planned tank with a lot of time and thought put in.

shrimp look good and hopefully darken up a little bit more given some time.

Here's hoping you can get some breeding happening.

My TDS is around 120 so I am just hoping mine survive.

why ? Doesn't sound like you. LOL. Imagine te possibility if these zebra could be x with our Caridina's...

All my tanks are spoken for, thankyou!!!!!

OK Ben' date=' I will yell when I go.

Have your Barneys coloured up yet?

Bob[/quote']

They have settled into their temporary home but I cant see them well yet. I'm going to set up a tank specifically for them. Have you put up any photos or water parameters for the habitat for them?

• 2 weeks later...

The colouration of the zebs is much better now they have settled in. Here are a few shots of them from the weekend.

P1040218_zps103bd9b0.jpg

d94f1a52-9854-470a-9106-a29b51c862d9_zps3b593227.jpg

P1040216_zps7eeb661f.jpg

P1040215_zpsd97c4b8c.jpg

P1040209_zpsedeaad66.jpg

Very cool Fishmosy, now all you need is the mosses to take off and some more biofilm. Good luck.

Thanks guys. There probably won't be too much (visible) biofilm growth as the zebs are super active and always feeding. The leaves in the pics are ones I added in just before the pics were taken. They seem to love eating the leaves, there were none of the original leaves left after two weeks including several large IAL leaves! I add biofilm in the form of algae films that I scrape from the lids of other tanks too, but the zebs always eat them within minutes.

Looks just like where they come from, good job.

There is always larger numbers of Zebs where leaves build up, in corners and back waters.

I have seen in one 600mm square side pool 500+ Zebs of all sizes.

Of the 60 survivors from the 17 day ordeal I have a berried female not too far from dropping, I can see eyes.

Bob

Wow dude, stunning biotope! The tank & shrimp look amazing, well done! :victorious:

such beautiful shrimp and you have done a great job on their biotype.

This looks great :)

I didnt realise Aus had so much potential in Native shrimp (mostly just hear about the cherries and crystals).

I have been contemplating how to set up some tanks with limited plumbing and i wondered if it would be feasible to get a longer tank and use this foam as dividers to keep strains separate whilst still maintaining the same water parameters?

This looks great :)

I didnt realise Aus had so much potential in Native shrimp (mostly just hear about the cherries and crystals).

I have been contemplating how to set up some tanks with limited plumbing and i wondered if it would be feasible to get a longer tank and use this foam as dividers to keep strains separate whilst still maintaining the same water parameters?

It is certainly possible to use foam as dividers. In fact, I'm sure a few members here have done so. My only concern would be that the shrimp may climb the foam to gain access to the other sections.

• HOF Member

I took my dividing foam out because it was suggested that later if it were to get clogged with debris it would be hard to take out and replace so beware that at some time down the track it will need to be cleaned when the water flow slows too much between sections. It may take a long time but I didn't want to take a chance so have something in mind for when/if this happens. Also my foam went top to bottom using the central brace of the tank to stop any climbing over<a href=%7Boption%7Dhttp://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/b583/ineke24/P5240189_zpse5ac1e59.jpg' alt='P5240189_zpse5ac1e59.jpg'>

Definitely a valid point...has anyone come up with an awesome substitute yet?

On overseas forums I keep seeing plastic sheets that are thin and allow water flow through that various Siamese Fighter keepers use to multi divide there tank to house males in single cells of say a normal three foot tank. Those dividers might be a shrimp option.