Welcome Greenfish

Greenfish

SKF Aquatics (Shrimp Keepers Forum) welcomes Greenfish.

Please feel free to browse around and get to know others. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

View Member

regards,
skfadmin

Hi,

Thankyou for the welcome. Admittedly I'm here to learn more about shrimp keeping as my daughter is very keen to set up a tank.

Personally I've been keeping tropical freshwater fish since 1999.

Regards

GF

• Like 1

Hi NoGi

It may be. Its also my user name on another forum.

Is it possible for an 11 year old to have and maintain a basic shrimp tank?

GF

Can't go wrong with cherry shrimp (red, orange and choc). Other cherry variants can be a little more stubborn.

Some of the natives including DRS and DAS are good for beginners too.

• Like 3

The other hardiest cherry variant@nogi forgot to mention is the light blue type (often called blue velvet in oz although worldwide they are more commonly known as just blue cherries I believe). Not to be mistaken with blue dreams - these can be a little more fragile than the other ones mentioned.

[emoji173] [emoji111]
Will

• Like 1

Welcome @Greenfish, as the others have said you cannot go wrong with cherries. No matter what colour you get they are pretty hardy and fascinating little creatures. I started with red cherries myself and still keep them. Personally I would recommend red cherries as they're easier to spot which will make it a bit easier for your little one. My daughter ignores all the other shrimp and focuses on the red cherries, bloody marys and crystal red shrimp in my tanks.

Good luck
Yell out to anyone here if you need help.
Jarad