Welcome to SKF Aquatics (Shrimp Keepers Forum)

Welcome to SKF Aquatics (Shrimp Keepers Forum), like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of SKF Aquatics (Shrimp Keepers Forum) by signing in or creating an account.

• Enjoy an advert (Google/Amazon) free experience once you reach member status
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Age of Aquariums BossAquaria_Platinum.png Filters Systems Australia Newbreed Aquatics The Tech Den
Brentwillmers

TDS Pens

6 posts in this topic

Hi 

I usually am a google reader and find info on the net. But this one I'm truly stuck with. 

TDS pens. Used to measure total dissolved solids/organics etc. my question is what benefit is it when using RO or distilled water. The organic or "dissolved solids" would of been removed so leaving it in a more clean natural state. All those harsh chemicals are removed. 

So if I dose macro/micro's would it be any benefit to me in helping keep my water clean, healthy and full of nutrients.  

I do test all the standard tests + phosphate iron GH/KH 

Thanks 

Edited by Brentwillmers

Then you have to read this ...

RO water removes the unwanted chemicals, metals, bacteria and algae in tapwater. But Fish and shrimp cannot live in such sterile water devoid of salts.

You need to remineralise the water by adding back Calcium and Magnesium to a level suitable for the type of fish or shrimp you are keeping. How much you add is helped by the use of a TDS meter. The TDS meter will also help you maintain the correct range for your shrimp. And as TDS rises due to fertilisation or waste build up from the tank inhabitants, it can serve as a reminder for a water change.

1 person likes this

Thanks Jayc  

i was really unsure on its value towards nutritional water quality. Or range of worth for a heavily planted hi-tec aquarium been dosed with macro's and micro's. 

With shrimp like cherry and CRS, what would you call a suitable TDS value on these pens. I have seen people range their waters from 120-160. Would that be suffice in my case. 

6 hours ago, Brentwillmers said:

cherry and CRS, what would you call a suitable TDS value

Cherries have a wider range they can tolerate - 100 to 200 TDS.

CRS are more sensitive, so stick to a range of around 140 to 160 TDS.

Thanks you again jayc

5 hours ago, jayc said:

Cherries have a wider range they can tolerate - 100 to 200 TDS.

CRS are more sensitive, so stick to a range of around 140 to 160 TDS.

Ordered myself a TDS pen yesterday.

just out of interest. If I don't have a range in between 140 to 160 either up or down. What's the correct way of getting within those values, or is it just water changes and no special treatments. 

Thanks again   

Good move. A TDS pen was the best purchase out of all the aquarium accessories I have bought.

I'm assuming you have not read the article yet. If the TDS is under ... add more RO remineralising solution to your change water. Eg if tank TDS is 130, then make new water that is 160.
If TDS is over ... Water change with new, clean water that has been treated with a lower TDS.
If you are only typing of water that has been evaporated then just add pure ro water.

Edited by jayc