Fluval Plant LED 2.0 (32w)

Zebra

Hello, 

Recently one of the HO-T5 lights on my 4ft tank stopped working.

This was the second time I had to get a replacement, the first one caught on fire randomly.... it was part of my nightmare with that 4ft tank before I sumped it etc. they were very dark times for planted aquaria lol. Anyway.

I have been upgrading to LEDs anyway and didn't want to just grab the same light again, so I ended up using my store credit to grab this 32w Fluval 2.0 LED light for my 2ft shrimp tank.

Just to clarify it's a bit out of my price range and I probably wouldn't have forked out the $300 or so upfront, But yeah I had store credit and all that.

Im very Impressed with it. 

It has blue only, and white 7500k mode which iMO looks more on the red end of the spectrum.

Its fully dimmable,  but doesn't come with an instruction manual, someone on FB told me how to dim it lol you just hold the button in, haha who would have thought? 

The light unit itself is a solid black aluminium, with strong sliding arms also made of aluminium. It's a nice solid feeling unit that has a bit of heft to it -which I like in any product. The arms slide from 61cm to 85cm.

Its wifi compatible, but you need to buy a module for it, then you can operate it from your smart phone-I'm not hugely interested in these features personally but your supposed to be able to change the color spectrum etc from your smart phone. 

So this is a massive upgrade from the diy led floods I used to have over my RCS tank, and I will update as to how the plants like it over the coming weeks.

Would be dope if I could afford one for my 4ft haha. But the 4ft model Is like $5-600. Sad face

This is the most expensive light I've owned to date lol. 

Also has a 3 year warranty and the packaging has QC stickers "Hagen" "Fluval" are literally written all over it.

Negatives: 

Didnt come with an instruction manual.

The packaging implies that its wifi compatible with everything in the box. Then you read the fine print and find out you need to purchase a seperate controller.

Nothing that matters really lol.

I walked away from there very happy.

IMG_1263.JPG

IMG_1268.JPG

IMG_1270.JPG

IMG_1271.JPG

• Like 1

I've been feeding them lots of good veges and stuff lately so it's hard to say but I think this light is really starting to bring out their color more. They are still on the mend after being sold sick cherries that infected my tanks. But I've lost none of my original red colony so that's a good sign.

IMG_1279.JPG

Edited by Zebra
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

That tank grew out great, I ended up selling the tank, waiting now for a new 2ft for this light to go on, it's temporarily over my 5ft ATM- just on the lowest setting- great light plants love these.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• Must Read SKF Articles

• beanbag
      Update to say that after a few gravel vacs, front wall scrub, moss / floating plant trim, that the condition seems to have improved.  My current theory is that it is due to waste / debris management, where "stuff" like that brown mulm accumulates in the substrate and behind the HMF filters.  Maybe some tanks can somehow deal with it, but mine can't.  Also another experienced shrimper suggested that maybe those "shell bugs" don't just live on the shrimps but also in this debris.  Maybe this is the reason some tanks fail due to "old tank syndrome" where all they need is a good gravel vac? Also, I am guessing that plant trim helps too because now more of the nutrients and light go into growing algae instead of more plants? Well anyway for this tank I will try weekly water change and monthly gravel vac / plant trim.  For my next tank, I'm thinking of something like an under-gravel system where this mulm can fall down and I vac it out.
    • sdlTBfanUK
      Good to have an update and good to hear you are getting shrimplets, so hopefully your colony will continue and you may not get to the point where you have to cull some to stop over population. These type of shrimp only live 12 - 18 months so the adult deaths may be natural? If you have the time I would do weekly 25% water changes, adding the new water via a drip system and do some vacuuming clean of the substrate each week, even if only a different bit each week! See if that helps in a few months and if it does then stick with that regime? It should help reduce any build-ups that may be occuring!
    • beanbag
      Hello again, much belated update: The tank still has "cycles" of 1-2 month "good streaks" where everybody seems to be doing well, and then a bad streak where the short antenna problem shows up again, and a shrimp dies once every few days.  I am not sure what causes things to go bad, but usually over the course of a few days I will start to see more shrimp quietly standing on the HMF filter, and so I know something is wrong.  Since I am not "doing anything" besides the regular 1-2 week water changes, I just assume that something bad is building up.  Here's a list of things that I've tried that are supposed to be "can't hurt" but didn't prevent the problem either: Dose every other day with Shrimp Fit (very small dose, and the shrimp seem to like it) Sotching Oxydator Seachem Purigen to keep the nitrates lower Keeping the pH below 5.5 with peat Things that I don't do often, so could possibly "reset" the tank back to a good streak, are gravel vac and plant trim, so maybe time to try those again. One other problem I used to have was that sometimes a shrimp would suddenly stop eating with a full or partially full digestive tract that doesn't clear out, and then the shrimp will die within a few days.  I suspected it was one of the foods in my rotation - Shrimp Nature Infection, which contains a bunch of herbal plant things.  I've had this in my food rotation for a few years now and generally didn't seem to cause problems, but I removed it from the rotation anyway.  I don't have a lot of adult Golden Bees at this point so I can't really tell if it worked or not. Overall the tank is not too bad - during the good streaks occasionally a shrimp will get berried and hatch babies with a 33-50% survival rate.  So while there are fewer adults now, there are also a bunch of babies roaming around.  I guess this tank will stagger on, but I really do need to take the time to start up a new tank.  (or figure out the problem)
    • jayc
      If that is the offspring, then the parents are unlikely to be PRL. I tend to agree with you. There are very few PRLs in Australia. And any that claim to be needs to show proof. PRL genes have to start as PRL. CRS that breed true after x generations doesn't turn it into a PRL. Neither can a Taiwan bee shrimp turn into a PRL despite how ever many generations. I've never seen a PRL with that sort of red colour. I have on Red Wines and Red Shadows - Taiwan bee shrimps. So somewhere down the line one of your shrimp might have been mixed with Taiwan bees and is no longer PRL. It just tanks one shrimp to mess up the genes of a whole colony. 
    • sdlTBfanUK
      Sorry, missed this one somehow! The PRL look fantastic and the odd ones look part PRL and part Red wine/Red shadow in the colour. They are still very beautiful but ideally should be seperated to help keep the PRL clean if you can do that.  Nice clear photos!