Macros in the wild

fishmosy

[emoji50] [emoji50] [emoji50]

What can you tell us about the species habitat? Is it legal to remove them and breed them?

This guy was found in a coastal creek flowing directly to the ocean. Typical very soft water, similar to the water parameters in freshwater creeks around Cairns. Neutral pH

I've found the same species locally (Coffs Harbour) as reported in the field trip section, including water parameters.

Its not any more or less difficult to collect and keep than other Australian native shrimp - the same rules apply. I think the freshwater crayfish are the difficult ones - from memory many (all?) Euastacus spp. (aka spiny crayfish) are protected. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hmm well I'd like to know if you're keeping any? Also i've heard that the blue only occurs in males.. is this true and if so what are the implications for line-breeding colour?

I'm hoping to get my hands on some of these from@northboy in the coming weeks if I'm lucky.. :-)

[emoji173] [emoji111] [emoji444]
Will

Not at the moment. I've kept a big male in the past. He was a very interesting inhabitant, quite charasmatic. I've seen full blue and full red/orange females. In fact I'm sure there are some pics of them in the field trip section. 

https://skfaquatics.com/forum/topic/7664-coffs-harbour-creeks-at-night/

Line breeding - I dont know with these guys because a) I haven't done line bred these and I'm not aware of anyone who has, and b) I suspect the colouration of the males depend on their social status. The macros seem to have a complex hierachy, with the dominant male in an area being the most colourful and the biggest. 

Edited by fishmosy
  • Like 2