Caridina zebra pics

Joanne

Hi, does anyone have any information on Australian Zebra Shrimp? I got a free one in a fish order and don't know anything about their care or size or anything! ? It'd an awesome looking shrimp. I have popped her in with my cherry shrimp, hope that's ok?!

Hi Joanne,

Not to sound dismissive, but are you certain it is a Caridina zebra and not a CBS (crystal black shrimp) or exotic hybrid cross e.g. Tatibee? The reason I ask is because the zebs are quite rare in the hobby, whereas the other shrimp are quite common.

if it is a zeb, then it won't last long in with your cherries. Zebs require very soft water (TDS <40 ppm at the most) otherwise they die. Likewise temps need to be below 22 if you want to keep it alive long term. Even the best shrimp keepers in Australia (IMO) have failed to keep this species alive long term (and by long term I mean months or years). Have a look at the setups for zebs in this subforum and you will get a feel for what these guys need in terms of water parameters and feeding. They are not like other shrimp. 

If it is one of the exotics instead, happy days. It may do fine in with your cherries depending on your water parameters.